Why does Time Machine wants to start all over all the time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mortenjensen, May 27, 2015.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi,
    I use a ethernet-connected MyBook Live at work to do time machine backups. At home, I have a regular time capsule. While this one never asks to start all over with a new backup, time machine asks every few weeks to start all over. It says that it has come to the end of this backup and wants to restart. Since an ethernet-connection is rather slow, this process takes several days. A real pain in the ...

Why this difference?
    Can it be avoided?

Morten

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Because you're using an unsupported (low-end) networked device for your Time Machine. That will give you nothing but headaches.

To the Time Machine software, unsupported networked devices look just like any other hard drive, so it treats it the same. Meaning that when there's a glitch in the network connection (which will happen), the backup will get corrupted and it'll have to start a new one.
    Time Capsules, AirPort Extremes, and OS X Server has protocols implemented to prevent this, which is why they work.

3. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

Unfortunately, it is not possible, I guess, to hook up a time capsule on a large network, is it?

The advantage with the Live Book is that it shows as a network device and does not produce wifi signals. I can password-protect it and so on.

Is it possible to do the same with a time capsule?

And also: is it really not possible to do anything that will stop the Live Book from starting all over every so often?

Morten

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I can't see a reason it wouldn't be possible. If you can do it with your My Book...

- I'd estimate so, yes. Just disable its Wi-Fi component in AirPort Utility.
    Take your home TC to work and test it.

- Don't think so, no. Either use a Time Capsule, an AirPort Extreme with an external hard drive connected, or a locally connected external hard drive.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

6. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

7. ColdCase, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015

ColdCase macrumors 68030

Short answer is yes, it shows up just like the Live Book. Turn the TC wireless and router off. Some companies won't let wireless capable devices like a TC on their network.

You can also backup to a Mac running the OS Server app ($30). This will turn any Mac into a time machine destination, so if there are any spare macs around at work, for $30 and perhaps a external drive, you have a dependable TC destination.