Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Hi,

I'm having crash issues with Toast too often.

First, I've been trying for a couple of days to burn a video DVD from a DivX file, as normally supported by the software. Toast accepts the divx file, starts to encode the video file - and then disappears after a while.
It just, simply, disappears. Then it's not possible to restart it, unless I log out and re-log in.
I used Toast 7.1.2, thought it could be too old and * bought * yesterday the new version 8, for the same result :mad:
I think the problem appears between the end of the encoding and the beginning of the burning process. The DVD is left blank. I use the DVD burner of my iMac 24".
Any idea / suggestions?

Second, generally speaking, Toast 7.1.2 has a tendancy to disappear when you hide it, and not come back. Then you have to force-quit etc... I'll have to use the new version more intensively to be sure it's still there, but seeing that some of the same problems from version 7.x are still there...

I think I made a mistake buying Toast 8.0. It seems to be the same software as Toast 7.x, with a few exceptions like a new interface and Blu-Ray support. Rats. :(

Thanks for any help,
Arnaud.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
I just tried to burn the same DVD with the latest update of Toast, i.e. 8.0.1.
The same problem occured, although this time I could see that the encoding of the video was completed to 93% before the software disappeared.

The console also recorded the following (I keep the whole bunch with lines before and after, I'm not really sure where the relevant part is...):

2007-05-25 22:19:20.033 iCal Helper[1275] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Users/Arnaud/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports/Smart Crash Reports.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Smart Crash Reports for bundle /Users/Arnaud/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports/Smart Crash Reports.bundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())
/Users/divx/Desktop/601 Plus Mactel - 02212006/clients/mac/Lib Decoder MPEG 4/../../../q/decoder/MPEG-4/src/mp4_recon_bvop.c:90: failed assertion `mode>=0'
2007-05-25 22:47:45.178 Console[1289] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Users/Arnaud/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports/Smart Crash Reports.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Smart Crash Reports for bundle /Users/Arnaud/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports/Smart Crash Reports.bundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())
2007-05-25 22:58:09.762 ScreenSaverEngine[1299] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code /Users/Arnaud/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports/Smart Crash Reports.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Smart Crash Reports for bundle /Users/Arnaud/Library/InputManagers/Smart Crash Reports/Smart Crash Reports.bundle, error code 2 (link edit error code 0, error number 0 ())

Any idea what I should do?
I know the DivX file might be faulty, but I only have one version. I'll see whether I can re-encode it some other way, but still - I would hope a software like Toast would not be picky, or at least give some sorts of comments about the situation...

Thanks,
Arnaud.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Well, I'll try to re-encode the file using MPEG Streamclip.
I'll batch-process to obtain a new mp4 (H.264, 640x480, original size) file, and also a DV file (PAL), and I'll run them both into Toast. Hopefully I can burn something out of it, and I'll compare the results... :confused:

I don't really like the idea though, an extra compression step before the MPEG-2 compression...
Not mentionning the time it will take, even though it will run by night.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Conclusion (for whoever got interested in that thread):

I encoded a version of the movie from DivX to Mpeg4 (100% quality) via MPEG Streamclip, and used the new movie in Toast 8.01. The software (finally) finished burning a valid video-DVD.

Finito.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.