Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
EVERYTIME I update to the new version of iOS, I have to manually sync the songs to my iPhone (because I don't want all of the songs from my iTunes library, just some) and then manually ADD and SORT MY APPS BY FOLDERS?!

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
EVERYTIME I update to the new version of iOS, I have to manually sync the songs to my iPhone (because I don't want all of the songs from my iTunes library, just some) and then manually ADD and SORT MY APPS BY FOLDERS?!

Well, updating the firmware wipes the phone clean, so of course you'll have to resync everything. You could just create a playlist so that you can just select that for iTunes to sync over.

For the apps, if restore the phone from a backup once the firmware is updated, doesn't it sync them into the proper places? I don't actually know that one.. i always set mine up as new after updating.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Well, updating the firmware wipes the phone clean, so of course you'll have to resync everything. You could just create a playlist so that you can just select that for iTunes to sync over.

For the apps, if restore the phone from a backup once the firmware is updated, doesn't it sync them into the proper places? I don't actually know that one.. i always set mine up as new after updating.

Yeah, I figured that one out with just creating an 'iPhone' playlist and then just drag-n-dropping the songs on to the iPhone.

But the apps sync into random, individual positions instead of the folders they've been in before.

I guess I'll just have to deal with it until :apple: fixes it

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yeah, I figured that one out with just creating an 'iPhone' playlist and then just drag-n-dropping the songs on to the iPhone.

But the apps sync into random, individual positions instead of the folders they've been in before.

I guess I'll just have to deal with it until :apple: fixes it

Strange, didn't do that for me.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Updates work fine for me - everything is where it should be and songs are synchronized OK. @OP: I know this is not much help, but what you are describing doesn't sound to me like the typical experience of people I know who update iOS.

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008

restore to ur previos backup after ur firmware installation completes, this will put the same songs, apps, movies etc on ur device.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
Only way i found around it is to create an additional music folder seperate from your itunes music, sync that folder with your iphone and it will automatically do it for you everytime. It does make it much easier after a restore

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
i dont think u need to do that if u restore to previously stored backup .
it will sync ur iphone with the same songs and game progress.

after ur restore u get the following screen:
select ur backup and u are all set.

HT4137--set_up-001-en.png

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009

Updating the firmware doesn't wipe the phone. I updated my iPhone last night and it was exactly as I left it on the previous firmware version. I don't understand why people are wiping their phones when updating them, you don't need to do this.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Updating the firmware doesn't wipe the phone. I updated my iPhone last night and it was exactly as I left it on the previous firmware version. I don't understand why people are wiping their phones when updating them, you don't need to do this.

Yep, me neither. Just one click to update, wait, and done.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate

Updating the firmware does wipe the phone, you must then restore from backup afterwards and all is restored.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I am confused now; Does updating iOS count as updating firmware? If so, on my phone I do not need to reinstall any apps or songs - they are left untouched. I sounds to me like there is some setting somewhere that might help the OP.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
Updating the firmware does wipe the phone, you must then restore from backup afterwards and all is restored.

Restoring the firmware wipes the phone, updating the firmware just installs the OS all the files and folders remain intact.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
Whoops! Sorry to have started this debate haha. I got my terms mixed up. I almost always update by doing an option+restore with a custom IPSW by pwnage. They've come to mean the same thing in my head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.