Why does XCode have to change so drastically between versions?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Michael.Hill, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Michael.Hill macrumors newbie

It's hard enough trying to learn Objective-C, but because XCode changes so drastically in such a short period of time, almost all the tutorials I find for it are completely out of date. *Vent* *Vent* *Frustration*

2. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Because that's progress. The big changes are between major versions. There were 2.5 years between 2.x and 3.x and more than that between 3.x and 4.x. You're on an unfortunate cusp with 4 having just been released. Books and docs will catch up. Just use 3.x for now if it's a major hindrance. It's still out on the dev site for download.

-Lee

3. Biolizard macrumors 6502

With Xcode 4.2 and iOS 5 due for release in Sept or Oct, I expect a lot of third party documentation (which usually focuses on iOS programming rather than Mac Programming, grrr) will see updates in the couple of months, so just hang in there :)

4. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

It gets better . . .

I've gone through the same frustrations as OP, and it's made me a better person.

In Xcode 2, you could create Xcode classes (and their files) from IB. But in Xcode 3 they switched it - it took several months to figure out that you created the class files in Xcode, THEN went to IB, created the interface, and hooked everything up. The Xcode 2 tutorials were very frustrating to use when Xcode 3 first came out.

I had less of a bump with Xocde 4 as the philosophy was the same as Xcode 3, only the layout was changed (significantly improved).

The part where this makes you a better person is that using the old tutorials on the new tools forces you to think about WHY they're doing what they're doing.

5. Michael.Hill thread starter macrumors newbie

I was lucky to get a copy of the Big Nerd Ranch book on iOS programming. Fortunately, they used the XCode 4.1 with that and I've been able to work through Objective-C examples (and iOS examples) in there.

It's just frustrating because I initially started learning with XCode 3 and I didn't have time to get too much into it because of school. Then XCode 4 was released and I got frustrated because it was so different. I was stupid and paid $5 for a copy only to find out XCode 4.1 was released for free with Lion. Even then, it seems like there were drastic changes between 4.0 and 4.1.

Now that I'm graduated, I finally have time dedicated to learning again (gee, sounds like I wasn't learning when I was in school, doesn't it? :p), and I think I can get caught up.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I know this feeling all too well. School has been holding me back for years. October 23 can't come soon enough!

7. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

How versus Why

To expand on my earlier comment, the differences between versions can be a source of frustration as it changes HOW things are done. But it can be a spur to force you to figure out WHY things are done.

What are the theoretical underpinnings of the system you're looking at (in this case Xcode)? The theory is that there are relationships between graphical elements and code elements. How does Xcode express those relationships? How do you manipulate Xcode and IB to create or modify those relationships?