Why does YouTube suck on appletv?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mentaluproar, Feb 4, 2012.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Why do videos air forever to load on my appletv? It's not much better on my iPad. My new Mac mini can't play videos worth crap, either in chrome with flash or in safari with the youtube5 extension. what can I do to find the problem?

Is it possible the latest airport update broke things? I'm running 15 down, 1 up on my Internet connection, so that can't be it.

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

For the youtube5 issue on the Mac mini, are you sure it's actually using the youtube5 player. Go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and make sure that at the bottom it reads "You are not currently in the HTML5 trial.", if it doesn't click on the link to leave the trial as otherwise you get Youtubes HTML5 player which seems to have a few issues.

3. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I have tried it with and without that enabled. In many ways, my core 2 duo mini was quicker than the i5, but the fact that my appletv has this issue too makes me believe it's something with the connection.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Is your ATV using wifi or ethernet? If it's currently using a wifi connection, try it with a cable and see if it helps. The latest updates have caused certain wifi issues for some.

5. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

6. EmmEff macrumors regular

I've never had a problem with any source in my house (ATV2, iPad 1, iPhone 4, iPod 3GS or MBP). Have you run speedtest.net from your Mac? I think you have a bandwidth/connectivity issue.

7. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Speed test and ping test came back better than my old house, but we ran a ddwrt buffalo there, so I'm wondering about my airport.