why doesen't iPod have a raido?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Jun 8, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Isn't the point of having an iPod so that you don't have to listen to the radio? The only things on the radio worth listening to are NPR, oldies, and classic rock. Everything new has pretty much sucked for the past 10 years...

3. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Well thats a very middle-aged attitude to music!

As for having no radio, i'd guess its because its sounds rubbish on the move alot of the time (although i'm in london where the airwaves are very busy). Perhaps it diminishes the perceived quality of the product?

Or maybe its to save a few dollors in production. You can get it as an add-on extra anyways. Theres rumored to be a DAB ipod add-on which I'm looking forward to.

4. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I would love to have an FM tuner in the iPod. Actually an AM tuner would be great but it seems like they're harder to squeeze into portable electronics.

Steve has said that no one wants a radio in the iPod. I don't know if that's actually true or not. I'm thinking they decided it was just another cost they could cut out and increase they're profit margin, which is why its a $50 add on. I mean, it seems like Apple is still able to sell a few iPods without the radio...:rolleyes:

5. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

I don't know how it is in England but radio seriously sucks in America. They only play really bad pop. Paris Hilton? Is that what we're supposed to listen to?

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Great thread topic and post. Seriously. :rolleyes:

Radio Remote

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Why doesn't the iPod have a (built-in) radio? It's as much a philosophical decision on what a DAP should be as much as anything, I suspect.

Wow...no one told me it was Lame Joke Friday! This one cracked me up. I love it! Nice work! :)

8. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

And I'm one of those people. I hate the radio and don't want one in my iPod. If you want to listen to the radio get the little attachment that Apple sells.

10. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Well, if you've got a digital radio then there are lots of good music stations, such as BBC 6Music. Otherwise you'd have to live in a proper city to get decent radio in the UK.

As you well know, there is a music scene outside of the charts. There is always great music somewhere in the world, it just get a bit harder to find.

11. dasphli macrumors newbie

Who needs a radio when you've got all the songs you want to listen to stored on your iPod?

Download Podcasts if you want to listen to radio shows, in the UK i only listen to Chris Moyles on BBC Radio One and you can get his podcast on iTunes

12. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

When the iPod gets a digital Tuner as standard i'll upgrade from my 3G 40GB.

Till then i'll wait.

13. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

1. Because radio does suck in the U.S.
    2. Because if radio didn't suck and we wanted to listen to it we would buy an inexpensive radio.
    3. Because people who don't think that radio sucks and do want to listen to it on their iPods can add one.

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

For exactly the same reason Macs don't have built in card readers.

15. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

There has been some people who said they would like a Sirius Satellite receiver in the iPod but it probably isn't advantageous business-wise.

For the most part though, an FM tuner isn't worth the hassle. Every time I turn on the radio in my car to a music station, I just get disgusted at what is played. Fergie like 3 times an hour. Maybe if she didn't spell in every song. Her next single is going to be a remix of the ABCs.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've lived in the Bay Area in California for eight years and I still haven't found a good radio station. You'd think with multiple universities and a generally "cool" (or whatever word the young folk are using these days) scene there would be something not dominated by the lowest common denominator mainstream. I'm happy not to have a radio in my iPod.

But if I wanted one, I would get the radio remote linked to earlier. As it is, I don't to have to buy something I won't use, and you can buy one if you want.

17. Viremia macrumors regular

18. sinstoic macrumors member

It is simple! Apple wants to make money through iTunes! If you had a radio in the iPod and could record a song to it, would you ever buy anything? Probably not!

19. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

First, you'd need to be able to record from the radio to the iPod. Even if Apple did include a radio in the iPod, I doubt they'd let you do that. Second, you assume that all songs available from iTunes are being played on the radio.

20. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Third, he assumes the quality of the radio signal is good enough to make a recording.

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If that's what they had in mind, the thing wouldn't play MP3s.

22. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Who the hell wants to record the radio? Even digital radio only uses 128kbps audio normally which is still rubbish quality.

23. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Radio is dead to me. NPR has podcasts. That's when you know things have gone south.

24. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I love you.