why doesnt 3g support anything!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by veeco3110, Sep 10, 2008.

1. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

every accessory that i use for my 3g, it says its not supported. for my old 2g i used t be able to plug it into my cars built in ipod adapter. everything would work beautifully. it would charge. the songs would play. heck, if i got a phone call the ringtone would go through the speakers.

try that now, accessory is not supported, this accessory will not charge this phone?

like seriously?

anyone know why it does that?

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Don't forget the new headphones, the new premium in-ear headphones and Nike+.

3. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Because the new iPhone uses USB interface to charge, the old ones still used USB/Firewire. Your adapters are probably the Firewire type, making them too powerful to be used by the 3G iPhone.

4. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

The first iPhone NEVER used Firewire,

try again

5. veeco3110 thread starter macrumors 6502

veeco3110

yea i was about to say...i got my iphone on launch day last year and it didnt have firewire.... anyone else see this issue... kinda sucks

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The first iPhone supported charging over the Firewire charge pins in the dock connector. The 3G one doesn't.

The reason for this is likely to be cost cutting: the Firewire pins are 12V, the USB ones 5V. So to support both Apple have to build in additional circuitry. So they took it out.

So why don't the cheaper car chargers support USB charging and only work with Firewire? Again cost: car batteries are 12V so it's very easy to supply 12V for charging. They simply didn't want to include the circuitry required to also supply 5V...

7. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Thank you robbie.

8. StoneGaijin macrumors regular

my bad, let me rephrase......The 1st gen iPhone was never INTENDED to use Firewire, nor SUPPORTED, it may have functioned by charging only, however.....