Why doesn't "About This Mac" specify the words Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LimaOhioJoe, Oct 9, 2009.

1. LimaOhioJoe macrumors newbie

Even though this may be a naive thought/ question, it is a honest thought/ question.
    Since OS X,version 10.6 is marketed as Snow Leopard, and not as 10.6, it seems to me that us relatively new Mac users could benefit from Apple actually using the words Snow Leopard in the "About This Mac" screens.
    I say this because a lot of tines I hear the question "are you using Snow Leopard", and to a newbie Mac user, it's not immediately clear when you check "About This Mac", unless you know 10.6 is Snow Leopard.

Or is Snow Leopard 10.6.1 and not 10.6?

Now remember, all of us start from ground zero in computing savvy....so be gentle with me....... and if Snow Leopard is actually stated somewhere, I apologize....(and I did search to see if this was discussed, but may have missed the relevant posts)

2. RHatton macrumors regular

Honestly, I think that is a perfectly valid question. To answer you, 10.6 refers to Snow Leopard, 10.6.1 is still Snow Leopard however it is an OSX update. I know you are referencing your point towards the computer properties page on the PC where it tells you which of the billion types of Windows OS you are operating. Keep in mind that Apple releases a new OS every few years. They don't offer 10 different versions of their OS's like someone else I know, therefore there really isn't as much need to know the name of the OS in the About this Mac section. With Windows OS's there are property changes in between OS's so it is essential to know with version a computer is running in order to diagnose problems, upload software, etc. This issue isn't encountered as much on the mac.

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

1. Snow Leopard is a marketing term, really.

2. Traditionally, the "cat name" has referred to ALL the point releases of the OS collectively, eg 10.5.0, 10.5., 10.5.8, and all the other 10.5.* releases are all "Leopard". The point of the thing in About This Mac is to tell you the specific version you are running, so it gives you the number.

4. LimaOhioJoe thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems to me that one of the great things about computers is their (our) ability to disseminate a large amount of specific information, (and hopefully not misinformation ), clarifying even the minutiae of life, and the inclusion of the words Snow Leopard would be such an event.
    But I hope Apple never runs out of Cat names, because Portuguese Water Poodle or the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever just doesn't seem right........