Why Doesn't apple add an App store for Apple TV??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by peteo, Jan 9, 2014.

1. peteo macrumors regular

This is really starting to drive me Crazy!
    Why the Heck doesn't Apple open an app store for apple tv?
    Put a 64bit A7 in the apple tv, add an app store. add support for bluetooth controller + iOS controller app= DESTROY the console industry
    Its so obvious but it does not seem like they want to pull the trigger :confused:

2. peteo thread starter macrumors regular

Lag from airplay makes most games useless.

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

you need a new router then

making the apple TV closer to a console will make it cost too close to real game consoles without the value

xbox360 and PS3 are like $199 now and do a lot more than the apple TV would at a higher price point

4. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

It would be nice :)

Since airplay sucks for gaming/movies.

5. peteo, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

peteo thread starter macrumors regular

No this is a case on all routers, apple needs to improve airplay. even using with a iPad/iphone using HDMI out has lag, looks like there's theres an "issue" with video converting

Cost could still be $99. the A7 chip does not cost much (rumored to cost $19)
    they could raise the price to $129 and i doubt anyone would flinch

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

An iOS controller app wouldn't work very well. It's one thing using touch controls on a screen you're looking at, but using touch controls on one screen while looking at another doesn't work well at all. You could use gestures rather than buttons, but it's still a limited solution.

A physical controller would work better, but there's still the problem that controller support is limited and iOS apps would need to be modified to work on a TV. There's no guarantee a Retina-supporting app would look good - or even be legible - on a HDTV.

To be honest, I reckon Apple is very much going in this direction - and the new controller support is part of this move - but they're taking their time. They don't just want to release an App Store, and count on app developers making it a viable solution.

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

what about storage? PS4 and xbox both come with hundreds of GB of storage to hold the games. and then you need a controller and RAM.

apple can probably make an apple tv similar to the last gen consoles for $199, but the quality of the games won't be as good and the consoles still have more features for that price

8. cynics macrumors G3

What else could an App Store offer aside from games to make it worthwhile?

9. MPL macrumors newbie

Applications such as Plex and XBMC without the current workarounds.

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's due for a major reboot soon. The mess of channels is getting to be, well, a mess. An app store is bound to be in the plans.

11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I couldn't imagine 1 million+ apps for my phone, yet they are there on the store.

12. cynics macrumors G3

I'm asking what other functionality could be added with an App Store because I don't know.

----------

Makes sense, thanks. Is that really it though? Why not just add those things to the current channel line up?

13. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Seeing as it hasn't been updated in 3 years I'm sure the next update is going to be pretty big. My best guess is that it will be announced alongside iOS 8 this summer.

14. MPL macrumors newbie

Those are, I believe, the most requested ones. XBMC alone is why people want to jailbreak their devices.

The thing is, they make iTunes meaningless for those who just want a Apple TV to stream their own content, so I'm guessing that's why Apple won't even consider it.

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

those are associated with piracy and the small percentage of people who are digital hoarders

16. Mac.Matt macrumors newbie

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

what kind of games can nintendo port onto a 32GB device?

18. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

why i think its pointless for the apple tv to have an app store its like the xbox 1 and ps4 people want them to do everything but my thing they try to do everything and in the end they dont do it very well all my thing is have dedicated boxes for what people need i know it takes more room but then each machine will do what they are designed for better

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

My guess, contracts. It's taken years to get only a handful of content providers to sign on, and even then, not without security. The most obvious and popular apps would give people the freedom to bypass these providers.

20. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Because the current ATV can't handle an App Store??? As I recall the channels on the ATV are not "real" apps. Like they are on other iOS devices.

21. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

All the TV catch-up services in various countries.

22. APlotdevice, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Nintendo? Not a chance. The WiiU may be flopping hard, but the 3DS is doing decently enough. And as long as they have hardware to sell, their games will be sold exclusively on them.

Thus far all MFi controllers connect via the lightning port.

----------

The iPhone originally couldn't run "real" apps either. The app store was introduced in iOS 2.0 a year later.

23. MPL macrumors newbie

That's a unfair assessment. Outside the US and the UK local copyright issues prevent the availability of streaming services like Hulu and Netflix hence Apple TV's main propose is to play media from the user's local library. In that respect, Plex and XBMC offer much more flexibility than iTunes, so yes, the addition of such apps as part of dedicated app store would be more than justified and for the most part, welcomed.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They have an SDK for AppleTV, but they only give it to partners. Once the actual AppleTV project is launched you can bet your ass it's going to be opened to developers within a generation.

Looks for a new type of experience where phones, tablets, and watches become a new type of interaction with your TV. I'm not talking second screen gimmicks here

;)