Why doesn't Apple have a Trackpad/Keyboard Combo?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by urkel, Feb 23, 2012.

1. urkel macrumors 68030

One thing I used to always want in the past was a desktop keyboard with trackpad built in. But now with the Magic Trackpad becoming so important to the OS X experience then I'm really wondering why the combo still doesn't exist.

Yes, I know there's 3rd party peripherals ($50) to connect the Magic Trackpad ($70) and Apple keyboard ($70) but that combo would cost me nearly $200. So I was thinking they should just give us a Macbook keyboard/trackpad layout.

[​IMG]

So what do you think? Would you buy this or do you prefer them separate?

2. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

This is the best $30 I've spent in a while.

http://magicconnector.com/

I do agree that they should offer a combo or an add on number pad option at least.

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Yes, I would buy that if the trackpad was as good as the unit in the MBA.
    IMO the stand alone trackpad isn't as good - responsiveness is less + the angle of dangle is a problem.
    Flat is better. See my forum post : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1328084

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because they decided not to make one. You could ask "Why" for a lot of things Apple doesn't do or produce.

5. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Don't think so. IMO the MBA trackpad is better than the Magic Trackpad - more responsive (needs less force to actuate it).
    A better solution is to use the tray/kbd/tp of an MBA as an input combo.

6. bobsbarricades macrumors regular

has anyone used the bullettrain/treedesigns and magic thing?

comparisons?

I am curious for leaning back in my chair while editing in Logic Pro. I quite love my old macbook pro track pad (with a separate button) because I can zoom in on my windows really easily...but can I do this with the magic mouse?

7. s!ke macrumors member

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

If I were to venture a guess, it is because some folks like to place Trackpad next to the keyboard (and depending on whether the person is left or right handed, left or right side of the keyboard) and some folks like to place it below the keyboard.

That said, couch potatoes would probably want more all-in-one approach that urkel illustrated.

To me, bigger issue is difficulty of replacing the battery.