Why doesn't Apple implement hibernation controls into the GUI?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bobdude161, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

For the newer Macbooks out there you can turn on hibernation with just a simple command line and it works great. I haven't had ANY problems with hibernation mode in the last 2 months that I have used it. So my question why doesn't Apple officially support hibernation other than when the battery goes out? My only guess is that they don't want you to save battery life. :eek:

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

There is a deep sleep dashboard widget that someone wrote to do that.

I guess Apple wants people to sleep more than hibernate.

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah. And truthfully, if you're going to be away from the computer for extended period of time (and thus requiring a hibernation instead of a sleep) you may as well just shut down. If you're in the middle of a lot of work that you simply can not close or lose your place - not sure why you're stepping away from it for extended periods in the first ;) Can't be that important after all!

To me, hibernation seems like a "very specific use case scenario" that most users probably don't really need anyhow.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Ditto.

While hibernation may be useful to some [citation req] its really not that required an entity!

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought it hibernated automatically if you were in sleep mode and your battery ran out?

6. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

The extended period times I'm away, I don't want to wait for startup when I get back. That's my deal. Coming back from hibernate only takes 20-30 seconds, while startup takes about a minute (including applications that start at boot). But whatever works for you. I just love hibernation, that's all. :)

Indeed.

7. ebika macrumors 6502

I've been using the SmartSleep preference pane for quite some time and love it. Personally, I have it set to the "smart sleep" setting of sleep-only (lightning fast going to sleep... like 1 or 2 sec) when the battery is above 20% or 20 min, and sleep+hibernate when the battery is low. You can also set it to always just hibernate too. For the rare times when I want to freeze the state of the system and I know I won't be back to the computer for an extended time, I use this preference pane to switch it to hibernate mode.

8. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

use MacPilot if you want GUI control over that...