Why doesn't apple make bands with inbuilt GPS or further battery life ?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ExcitedFutureWatchOwner, Jul 31, 2016.

1. ExcitedFutureWatchOwner macrumors newbie

Is such a thing even possible ?

Would be really useful for the first gen adopters as well.

2. Julien, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Of course it is possible but weight, size, fit, complexity, battery placement/recharging, low demand (since most just carry their iPhone) and costs are just a few reasons.

It is likely (or at least possible) that the gen 2 will have GPS builtin.

EDIT: You have painted yourself into a corner with the selection of your screen name. How will it be applicable net year or especially 5 years from now?:eek:

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Anything's possible, but bands are expensive as it is, I suppose they could make a special GPS band and most other sports bands wouldn't have this.

Of course that means the band having the ability to interface into the watch, i.e., digital connections. I'm not sure that's viable under the current design. They could do BT but that just adds weight. Also don't forget GPS is a very power hungry component so a larger batter would need to be built into the watch band as well, so that adds bulk and weight.

4. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

People will point to the mysterious "diagnostic port" as a way to connect electronic bands to the watch. I don't think it'll work, though, because removing it is a user-unfriendly task (nobody has to go to an Apple Store to buy a watch, remember?), and owners won't be able to easily swap the top and bottom halves of the band if they normally flip the screen orientation setting.

No, it doesn't make sense to add complexity to the straps.

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Besides, wasn't this question asked last year?

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Several times.

7. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

I think it's a good idea, and has been suggested a few times on these forums. I wouldn't rule it out, but would have to be some very tiny GPS chip and plenty of battery in the band. Probably better to just add GPS to the watch as standard functionality and have straps that just further the battery life and would likely be recommended for prolonged GPS usage.

Even better would be some kinetic re-charge system, but I'm not holding my breath just yet.

8. CyberTron macrumors newbie

There are already bands with extra battery builtin.

http://reservestrap.com/

Update: Strike that, seems they used the accessory port and it is now blocked, so no band :(