Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londondude

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Well looking at the applications and some of them are really great. i just got my iphone on friday and im too scared to put them on.

What i want to know is why doesnt apple take on these app themselves. they would increase the usablity of the iphone and just take that bit higher.

They have the space under the existing icons and if they werent going to add more icons they would have arranged them so they would have filled up the page.

doesnt make sense for them not to or maybe im missing a company stategy?

iliketomac

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2006
Well looking at the applications and some of them are really great. i just got my iphone on friday and im too scared to put them on.

What i want to know is why doesnt apple take on these app themselves. they would increase the usablity of the iphone and just take that bit higher.

They have the space under the existing icons and if they werent going to add more icons they would have arranged them so they would have filled up the page.

Forward this to sjobs (at) apple (dot) com
Millions by now are probably thinking the same as you...
The more USEFUL apps on the iPhone the better.... at least Steve Jobs has already paved the way for more development via iPhone SDK early next year. Let's just hope his promise will not be a disappointment!

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Cost/benefit - developers don't come free, and a lot of users aren't interested in eg. sysinfo. (I'd argue that most users aren't interested in stocks and shares either but apple decided it was worth it).

The sensible way is to allow 3rd party development... let other companies use the phone as a platform to cater for their audience.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007

Have you made software before?

It takes a LOT of manpower, time, and other resources.

No single company can do everything.

The 3rd party SDK will help this situation out greatly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.