Why Doesn't Apple Put a Clear Coat on the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Oct 5, 2012.

1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

So why doesn't Apple put a clear coat on the iPhone 5? It would resolve most of the scratching and scuffing problems since a clear coat is harder than soft aluminum. Seems like a no brainer.

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Why bother? People will have wear and tear that will break through the clear coat. Then people will still get the dents and scratches AND still complain...

So then Apple probably wasted money for nothing...

3. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

4. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Actually, I completely agree and I actually thought this exact thing when the 5 came out and people were all complaining about the scuffs/scratches. If Apple would have applied (even a thin) clear coat over the aluminum, it would have significantly reduced the chances of scratches and would keep it pretty pristine for a while, at least. I think it's a pretty simple solution. And probably cost effective considering the amount of iPhone's that people are exchanging for the scratching problems.

BUTTT, at the same time. People that are on this forum are a little more obsessed with our iPhone's condition than your typical consumer...

I wonder if anyone is going to apply a clear coat themselves. :confused::cool:

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because its not a car.
    How about an airbag too and abs brakes?

6. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

That's silly. Some backs of phones are made of Kevlar material, does that mean it's a bullet proof vest? Or what about carbon fiber? Perhaps it's a surf board.

Putting a clear coat on a surface that is painted and susceptible to chips isn't a preposterous idea even if it's a phone. I mean these phones are gorgeous, why not protect them and keep them pristine without the need for a case at all.

Will it ever happen? Probably not. But it's not crazy to imagine it.

7. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a dumb analogy. Maybe you would like to compare flower vases to cars too since flower vases also have clear coats to protect their surface finish.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The second you drop the phone the clear coat will chip, crack and go away and will look horrible.
    If you drop the flower vase it will break and you will throw it away. Would you want the same every time you dropped your phone?

9. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

That's some pretty POS clear coating you have then. You do realize a clear coat isn't glass, right?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you're trying to tell me that a clear coating wont scratch or crack or wear off when dropped or scraped right?
    Is anything scratch proof?
    Look at the back and sides of the original metal iphone.
    People scapped, dinged and scratched it and they dealt with it cause it will eventually happen.
    Now everyone acts like its the end of the world if the black paint around the metal band scratches or wears off.
    I dont get it.

11. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Not like the soft aluminum of the iPhone 5. You do know that cars are clear coated and they get blasted by dirt and rocks in normal use, right? Ever recall a car panel cracking?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if you look in the front bumper of a car you will find tiny cracks and scratches from various things. The clear coat doesnt protect from everything. Little rocks, pebbles and other road debris while driving will get to it.
    But what am I discussing with you anyway. You already found the million dollar solution:D

13. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

If a clear coat is good enough to protect a car bumper from years of being pounded by dirt and rocks, it is good enough to protect soft aluminum from the pockets lint of Apple loyalists for a few months.

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, but they do still scratch easily.Look at any car that's older than six months. In the right light, you'll see everything from scratches from dirt and rocks flying against the surface, to white chips caused by door dings, to swirl marks from dirt trapped between the surface of the paint and towels used to wash or dry the car.

While paints are made up into nice colors so that the car looks attractive int he showroom when the papers are being signed and checks are being written out, the paint and clear coat are ultimately there to delay corrosion of the metal, for at least as long as the car is under warranty.

They didn't bother. The black iPhone 5 isn't painted. It's anodized.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go outside and look at the front bumper of your car.
    Does it have any scratches, scuffs or is it chipped off at all.
    If yes then go back to the dealer and tell them to replace the car.
    Also tell them you dont want a refurb as a replacement:D

16. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

And if you look at your bumper, you will notice that the clear coat takes most of the damage and helps protect what is underneath it. The same thing like it would do if applied to a soft aluminum phone.

Painted/anodized, doesn't make a difference.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You still dont get it.
    The clear coat and anodized paint will still scratch and come off if you drop it.
    It wont make it any better.
    Throw a rock at your car and see if the paint will chip or not and how much the clear coat will protect it. Same thing, drop your phone on concrete and the clear coat and paint and metal will ding, chip and scrape.
    Its very easy to damage a naked iphone.

18. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

You don't get it. Many of the threads around here how been about the iPhone 5 getting scratched not from dropping it but from simple things like putting it on a table.

19. FieldingMellish Suspended

There's no clear coat on today's government-mandated plastic bumpers. Besides, clear coats scratch. People go around thinking that a clear coat is like the invader's shields in War of the Worlds.

20. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Scratch the clear coat, not the paint of the iPhone 5.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure. They got dings and scrapes too from just putting it on a table:D
    Mine has zero and I have put it down to tables and other surfaces plenty.

22. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

With the soft aluminum that Apple is using and how thin of a sheet of aluminum they are using in the manufacturing, getting dings and scrapes from putting it on a table is not unexpected. Like a pop can.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont know, I think its a little harder than that.

24. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

It's certainly not a tin-can level strong.

25. FieldingMellish Suspended

It's not invisible. It remains that the scratch is perceptible. Plus, the clear coat embolden handling to the point where scratches in the clear coalesce into a haze.