Why doesn't Apple put in an order to create more iPads if...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Spooner83, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Spooner83 macrumors regular

Spooner83

they know how much of a demand they are? Why do they continue to not meet demands? I mean, they're suppose to be this innovative company, but they can't even meet the demands with their products, that's pretty lame

2. auero macrumors 65816

It was a rumor they were having production issues with this ipad. It was probably true but they went ahead with the launch.

3. WoodrowCall macrumors 6502

WoodrowCall

They're worth billions of dollars and I'm sure their suppliers are well-compensated; this is just a matter of not being able to keep up with demand. Don't criticize a company because what they make is so well-liked it can't be found easily.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Put in an order for more? Ugh why didn't Apple think of that! :eek: Doh!

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Of course! Nobody thought of that! Order more iPads?! It's so obvious now!

Or maybe Apple is getting them as fast as they can but demand is so high that they can't?

6. admanimal macrumors 68040

Should they also hire some of Santa's elves to increase production?

7. Hyakku macrumors newbie

How can these same, ignorant questions keep popping up? Why the **** would apple not want MORE money? Demand is unprecedented and hasn't even reached a worldwide audience, it's not like if they could increase the supply demand would suddenly not reach parity with it, so there's literally no economically logical reason for them to constrain supply in the manner in which many of you on this board suggest.

Apple doesnt own these manufacturing plants, and even if they did, there is only so much that can be yielded in one production cycle. Stop bitching and go camp outside of a damn store if you want one so bad.

8. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Why doesn't Apple just "put in an order" to bring about world peace while they're at it?

If only it were that simple.

9. sealos macrumors regular

And don't forget....

that the earthquake / tsunami in Japan last week will cause havoc in Apple's production.

Everything is assembled in China, but many of the smaller components (including some of the memory) is manufactured in Japan. Most of the manufacturers can't produce, even if they sustained little to no damage because of the rolling blackouts and brownouts. The machinery is so precises that after each black & brownout, the machines have to be recaliberated.

Toshiba & Hitachi both have suspended production of LCDs and I'm sure that other companies will be doing the same after they access the damage.

In the short term, Apple wil be ok because they have a finite quantity of components stored up. But that supply will most likely start to dry up within 6 to 8 weeks.

So even if they tripled assembling in China, they just won't have enough parts.

10. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

And while they are at the "world peace" thing, can we get a 100% efficient car engine also, so I can stop buying fuel?

11. mullman, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Beyond the complexity of an 18 SKU launch, you must have missed today's news that critical iPhone 4 and iPad components that come from Japan are offline. Possibly you also missed the news of a massive earthquake and tsunami in Japan.

Besides this was supposed to be a minor iPad update, meaning limited demand according to the 'experts'.

With unsure components over the next two months, APPL is probably throttling back anything in the channel for subsequent launches in other countries.

12. shawndoc macrumors newbie

Even ignoring the quakes, it takes time to make all of those components and assemble them together. If its anything like other consumer electronics, some of the components have a 12-16 week turn around time from the point the order is placed.

Even if all the components are on-hand, the plant making the product can only produce so many units a day.

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Steve Jobs used to poop magic, but it doesn't look like he eats so much anymore. :(

14. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I don't think people realize how difficult and time consuming it is to make a million iPads. If you could personally make 1 iPad per minute it would take you two years working 24/7 to make the initial batch that's now sold out.

Apple is doing everything they can, and they don't want to lose customers to competitors either.

The only other option is to delay the launch until they have more. But that just means no one gets the iPad until later so those who are complaining they don't have one yet - March 18th - wouldn't have one now anyway.

Plus, That gives competitors an extra few months to catch up.

At the same time if they could make double the amount, and the reviewers blasted it or it didn't do as well as they hoped they'd be stuck with several billion dollars worth of inventory.

If you wanted an iPad, you should have lined up on launch day or stayed up/ wake early to order one.

I arrived in line at 12:30 (in the afternoon, 4.5 hours early) and my recipt shows my iPad was rung out at 5:10 PM, I was one of the first. My online order, which I placed several hours after they launched online arrived yesterday (I let a friend of mine buy it from me at cost).

If I was able to get 2 from 2 sources easily, I can't imagine anyone being stuck without one unless they didn't try.

If the iPad is that important to you (this goes to anyone) that you are upset and angry for days or weeks, maybe you could have taken that day off from work and gotten one (or ordered one online in the morning before going to work).

I hope the whiners remember that next time and get out there to get the next product early rather than burn energy fuming over not getting one on time.

15. bigmikeyp macrumors regular

bigmikeyp

Seriously, do you really think its that simple? :confused:

I'd highly recommend you head on Google Scholar or YouTube and look into the basics of supply chain management.

16. Carouser macrumors 65816

When I'm on a plane, I always ask "Why don't they just make it go faster. Ugh!"

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They should order their factories to make more factories. That's the only way they can do it. I'm sure all their manufacturers are at top speed as it is.

18. reputationZed macrumors 65816

You made the unicorns cry :(

19. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

This thread and this signature: Epic Fail

Seriously go back to school. Take at least a basic Business course.

20. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Probably because they are selling millions of these.

Why couldn't Sony meet the Ps3 demand at launch?
    Why couldn't nintendo meet the wii demand at launch?
    why couldn't microsoft mee the Xbox 360 demand at launch?

22. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

To be fair Apple sold a million devices in the first day. They are rolling them out internationally on the 25th. That's a lot of iPads to get moved around the word.

Remember that the iPad is constructed from a wealth of components, not all built by apple themselves. They all have to be manufatored, shipped to assembly lines just in time. Unfortunately it's not quite as simple as putting an order in.

23. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

1. Make an immensely popular product.
    2. Sell a million of them in the first weekend.
    3. Not "order" anymore of them even though people are literally lined up around the street to buy them.
    4. ????
    5. Profit!

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't know. Why don't you take a course in manufacturing logistics before you talk about topics you don't quite understand.