Why doesn't Apple release a gaming controller?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

There are so many games for the iPhone, and they are getting more and more advanced, yet the controls remain the same, terrible. Touchscreen just is not good for FPS and other games.

So I was wondering; why doesn't Apple release a standard Bluetooth or a Wi-Fi Direct controller that developers can use and build their games around?

It would open up more possibilities for the games devs and would challenge consoles.

Imagine connecting an iPhone to a TV through a video cable, grabbing and controller and playing a game on a TV, that would be pretty awesome!

2. dmishe macrumors newbie

Since Bluetooth 4.0 is open for any device now, somebody should take this niche asap.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

They already do, its called an Apple TV + iOS device

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay/

4. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Because that would be like them admitting that it isn't perfect the way it is.

A controller would be awesome. This is the main reason I hate playing iOS games. I was so excited when Chrono Trigger was released, then I actually tried to play it with a touch screen :mad:

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Requiring that people but a separate accessory to enjoy an app is not a good idea. The iPhone is for casual gaming, no need to complicate things.

6. Cod3rror thread starter macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

They could offer on screen controls for those that don't have the controller.

IMO, iPhone games are slowly becoming more hardcore.

7. K0P Bacon macrumors member

Some games are okay on iPad, iPhone or iPod. They still can't beat a good video game system. I could be wrong but I doubt there is an MLG league for anything on the apple store.

8. skidbubble macrumors 6502

Because if they did, it would likely cost $300 and get scratched up easily.

9. Merkie macrumors 68020

I was wondering the same thing. Apple could easily destroy the DS and PSP if they put an effort into it. Touch screen controls are too limited.