Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
There are so many games for the iPhone, and they are getting more and more advanced, yet the controls remain the same, terrible. Touchscreen just is not good for FPS and other games.

So I was wondering; why doesn't Apple release a standard Bluetooth or a Wi-Fi Direct controller that developers can use and build their games around?

It would open up more possibilities for the games devs and would challenge consoles.

Imagine connecting an iPhone to a TV through a video cable, grabbing and controller and playing a game on a TV, that would be pretty awesome!

dmishe

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Since Bluetooth 4.0 is open for any device now, somebody should take this niche asap.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Imagine connecting an iPhone to a TV through a video cable, grabbing and controller and playing a game on a TV, that would be pretty awesome!

They already do, its called an Apple TV + iOS device

screenshot20121011at352.png

screenshot20121011at355.png

http://www.apple.com/appletv/airplay/

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
There are so many games for the iPhone, and they are getting more and more advanced, yet the controls remain the same, terrible. Touchscreen just is not good for FPS and other games.

So I was wondering; why doesn't Apple release a standard Bluetooth or a Wi-Fi Direct controller that developers can use and build their games around?

It would open up more possibilities for the games devs and would challenge consoles.

Because that would be like them admitting that it isn't perfect the way it is.

A controller would be awesome. This is the main reason I hate playing iOS games. I was so excited when Chrono Trigger was released, then I actually tried to play it with a touch screen :mad:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Requiring that people but a separate accessory to enjoy an app is not a good idea. The iPhone is for casual gaming, no need to complicate things.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Requiring that people but a separate accessory to enjoy an app is not a good idea. The iPhone is for casual gaming, no need to complicate things.

They could offer on screen controls for those that don't have the controller.

IMO, iPhone games are slowly becoming more hardcore.

K0P Bacon

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Some games are okay on iPad, iPhone or iPod. They still can't beat a good video game system. I could be wrong but I doubt there is an MLG league for anything on the apple store.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
I was wondering the same thing. Apple could easily destroy the DS and PSP if they put an effort into it. Touch screen controls are too limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.