Why doesn't Apple release stock Apple App's on the App Store therefore...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Aug 28, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Therefore Apple could push out updates much faster and universally then software updates via iTunes?

snverhallen

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

But then it would be an optional update, for what has been shown as free Apple apps that come bundled on the iPhone and the buyable upgrade apps along with the OS for the Touch (though you can update your Touch for free through various ways).

Makes sure everyone is on the same page. There is some discussion on another thread as to why you aren't able to hide or get rid of them (stock, weather etc) also. Apple could easily push small changes of their OS and apps without most noticing. E.g. - have you noticed the change in the Core animation of the waste paper basket in mail, when you delete a message, from June?

3. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Just noticed. Why did they change that?? I liked the recycle bin rocking from side to side a bit.

4. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have truth to that. But don't you think that would be easier to distribute frequent updates to Apple App's rather than a bi/tri-monthly update via iTunes?

snverhallen

5. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

When you submit an app for review, you have to specify if it is for iPod Touch/iPhone or just iPhone. I'm sure Apple has a way of making sure their (free) updates would only be compatible with iPhone.

6. matthewroth macrumors member

Best Idea Ever

then i could get rid of stocks weather clock and calculator!!! i dont need these at all!

7. zedsdead macrumors 68040

This is what they waste time on...where is the To-Do-List Syncing from iCal...Copy/Paste...etc...some list of priorities.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, very little has changed with the apps, except for in the 1.1.4 -> 2.0 transition, has it?

It seems like a good idea, but then...

The First Rule of Apple Club is that you do not know better than Steve Jobs.
    The Second Rule of Apple Club is that you do not know better than Steve Jobs.

;)

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No. They've wisely gone with the route of not doing part upgrades (presumably to get everyone on an even footing, easier/better able to minimise problems) , instead, you download and install the whole OS to update everything. It takes time. Doing that frequently would be a huge waste of time etc. I take your point though, that they could auto update the Apple apps if they were in the store. Who's to say they haven't been doing it, but just not showing it - silent updates?

10. tonywob, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011