Why doesn't Apple releases rebadged Intel UNC as Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tubeexperience, Feb 4, 2017.

1. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

2. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Apple seems to want people to buy the "experience". And since the Apple experience today is mostly form, not function, I guess they figure people don't care any more about what their devices actually do. So long as they look good, they get the job done.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Apple is a Hardware company, dagnabit. They can't be selling someone else's hardware and still be calling themselves a hardware company.
    IOW, they've got an internal corporate disconnect as their walled garden sucks resources and moves to the fore.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Patron wrote:
    "Apple is a Hardware company, dagnabit..."

To remain a computer "hardware company", they have to sell hardware.

They don't really seem to be interested in doing so, lately...

5. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68040

If a "Hardware" company can't even be bothered to update its products, might as well outsourced it.

6. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

At this point I would just prefer Apple to outsource their entire Mac line. They did it with the Cinema Display so may just as well go the whole way. Give OS X to a capable party where it has the chance to shine again.

7. imanidiot Suspended

Apple is an iPhone/Watchband/Services company, in case you haven't noticed. They just haven't come out and said as much---yet (and wouldn't that be "courageous"?). And I don't like it any better than you do.

8. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

I'm just going with the information they give me, despite it being so obviously out of synch with reality.
    It seems they're going to try to make the switch to AOL for the new millennium, while stringing along the old customer base.
    At the present, that act does not seem to be going very well.
    Maybe iPhone and media sales alone will be enough for them.

9. imanidiot Suspended

Indeed. We shall see...personally I hope Tim's "vision" crashes and burns, because it is a betrayal of the old customer base. But I'm a dinosaur and probably wrong. I'm too old to get it (i.e. why would anyone buy a computer when you have iPads and iPhones, or whatever the hell it was he said).

10. oldtime macrumors 6502

Totally agree.

11. Michael Scrip macrumors 601

Oh... like Intel processors, AMD GPUs, Samsung SSDs and RAM, LG screens, etc?

Naaaa... Apple can't do that ;)

12. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

They're looking at all the clones and they'd be stupid not to. Of course, it seems like Apple simply doesn't care about their Macintosh line anymore, sooooo...

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    You can install OS X on several of the NUC. Perhaps the best is the NUC5i5MYHE (dual-core Broadwell i5), which has an m.2 slot for an 802.11AC/BT4 card (and includes 2 antennas), m.2 slot for an SSD, and a SATA bus for a 12.5mm hard disk drive, and the ability to take 16 GB of RAM.