Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
Considering the SIM card slot takes far more space than the headphone jack, why didn't Apple just remove that? I don't see much point in having the a SIM card in the first place when it could be just something that is programmed in over the Lightning cable. Is there a reason to hang onto the SIM standard?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's how people easily/quickly change between phones and/or carriers on the go? Not everyone does it, or does it often, but plenty do.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
All providers would need to support it, because if they can only remove it for some providers, it won't really give them any additional space to use.

People would probably need to be able to change their device on the Providers website, if they removed it. There are alot of providers. Won't happen over night.

But i'm sure Apple has been wanting to do this for years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think eventually the Sim slot will be obsolete. But at the moment, it would be completely chaotic without it.

Reactions: arkitect

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
LTE, GSM standard requires the use of a sim card so it's impossible for Apple to remove the sim card atm. If Apple wanted to make a CDMA (3G) phone only than perhaps they could remove the sim card

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
It is clearly on the roadmap for upcoming models. Look at the 9.7 IPad Pro, it uses an embedded SIM that can be programmed to whatever carrier you want and has a SIM slot only as a backup. Apple is experimenting there before making such a big change in their most important product.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Do you need a headphone jack that badly? The new iPhone already comes with nice lightning headphones!

I haven't missed the jack at all.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Considering the SIM card slot takes far more space than the headphone jack, why didn't Apple just remove that? I don't see much point in having the a SIM card in the first place when it could be just something that is programmed in over the Lightning cable. Is there a reason to hang onto the SIM standard?
I am sure that there are several people out there in the world who would be more than happy to sell you a Sprint iPhone 4.

You see that model has no SIM slot. So I hope you'll be happy with Sprint as your carrier. And 3G only - on CDMA.

Oh and you can't unlock it because, see - it has no SIM slot so it's locked to Sprint.

Reactions: Applejuiced

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2008
I am sure that there are several people out there in the world who would be more than happy to sell you a Sprint iPhone 4.

You see that model has no SIM slot. So I hope you'll be happy with Sprint as your carrier. And 3G only - on CDMA.

Oh and you can't unlock it because, see - it has no SIM slot so it's locked to Sprint.

That is just a case of stupid decisions and based on what I've read, US carriers love making those. There is no reason why the SIM could not be programmable so when your contract is done you could just have them unlock it.
[doublepost=1475672952][/doublepost]
LTE, GSM standard requires the use of a sim card so it's impossible for Apple to remove the sim card atm. If Apple wanted to make a CDMA (3G) phone only than perhaps they could remove the sim card

What is the reason to require a SIM card for LTE and GSM? I can't think of a technical one so it must be about protecting some interests.

Reactions: charles4515

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Way to give Apple bad ideas!

I love having a SIM slot. Right now I have my iPhone 7 and my old iPhone 6. If my iPhone 7 had a serious problem, I'd be able to pop out the SIM card and put it into the 6 and continue on my merry way having a phone.

If not, I'd have to call AT&T (with what phone?) and have them move the line over. They'd probably charge me a fee for this, and it would take some time.

Screw that. Let's keep the SIM card and slot around. It's one of the few ways the carriers still don't have us by the balls.

Reactions: Applejuiced

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I love having a SIM slot. Right now I have my iPhone 7 and my old iPhone 6. If my iPhone 7 had a serious problem, I'd be able to pop out the SIM card and put it into the 6 and continue on my merry way having a phone.

If not, I'd have to call AT&T (with what phone?) and have them move the line over. They'd probably charge me a fee for this, and it would take some time.

Screw that. Let's keep the SIM card and slot around. It's one of the few ways the carriers still don't have us by the balls.
Alternatively, the GSM Association or ITU could require all carriers to support e-SIMs as part of the 5G standards. Then we can get rid of SIM cards and still have the flexibility to change carriers. Apple SIM is a step in the right direction, provided the carriers sign on.

MikeDee

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013

It would be nice to be able to switch phones like that on Verizon, but no. I wish AT&T had as good network coverage as Verizon. I would switch back.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

but you can use eSIM on those networks. you basically download your sim profile from your provider. if you switch provider, you download a new profile.

the technology is ready, but most providers are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.