Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
It's obvious to me that they're not really doing anything with it. They could even try to make a deal with the MPlayerX people to get that auto-installed by default. Or maybe they could try to make something new that they care about.

Or maybe they could update QT to where I don't get random errors when opening files it supposedly supports. :mad:

Last edited:

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
It's obvious to me that they're not really doing anything with it. They could even try to make a deal with the MPlayerX people to get that auto-installed by default. Or maybe they could try to make something new that they care about.

Or maybe they could update QT to where I don't get random errors when opening files it supposedly supports. :mad:

your post doesn't really suggest any valid reason for getting rid of it other than possible stagnation.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
your post doesn't really suggest any valid reason for getting rid of it other than possible stagnation.

A valid reason for getting rid of it: It barely works

Shouldn't they put something on there that works well instead?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Only ever used QuickTime when I'm watching a keynote. I find it rather poor at handing the stream, but I always figured my shoddy internet connection to have something to do with it.

I guess Apple's machines need to come with a media player. It may not be the best, but I'm guessing it is adequate for them who just want to play some musics/videos in mainstream formats.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
A valid reason for getting rid of it: It barely works

Shouldn't they put something on there that works well instead?

that's because they want you to buy the pro

----------

I guess Apple's machines need to come with a media player. It may not be the best, but I'm guessing it is adequate for them who just want to play some musics/videos in mainstream formats.

this

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Only ever used QuickTime when I'm watching a keynote. I find it rather poor at handing the stream, but I always figured my shoddy internet connection to have something to do with it.

I'm more saying that they need to be coming with something better. Like I said, throw MPlayerX on there by default or VLC or anything else that is better. Anything at all.

that's because they want you to buy the pro

----------

this

So Pro is good?

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
I'm more saying that they need to be coming with something better. Like I said, throw MPlayerX on there by default or VLC or anything else that is better. Anything at all.

So Pro is good?

it activates all those non-operational greyed out functions in non-pro quicktime.

if you were into creating video content, you would know that qt files are quite handy at times and very versatile.

anyway, there's only one really good multimedia player out there, and that is vlc.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
it activates all those non-operational greyed out functions in non-pro quicktime.

if you were into creating video content, you would know that qt files are quite handy at times and very versatile.

anyway, there's only one really good multimedia player out there, and that is vlc.

I have found Miro to be pretty decent as well.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012

That won't help me with the random avi files getting error messages.

Choice is still possible, hopefully it never ends.

How would changing the default, throwing in a different default, mess with choice?

I have found Miro to be pretty decent as well.

Never tried Miro.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Both Microsoft and Apple like to pretend their proprietary file formats are industry standards, and it's pretty pathetic.

Apple doesn’t own MP4. It’s developed by ISO and while it is based on Apple technology, Apple doesn’t own or control it in totality. About a dozen companies own it Apple being one of then. It is not proprietary.

By the way, it is by definition an industry standard

MPEG-4 is a method of defining compression of audio and visual (AV) digital data. It was introduced in late 1998 and designated a standard for a group of audio and video coding formats and related technology agreed upon by the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11) under the formal standard ISO/IEC 14496 – Coding of audio-visual objects.

MP4 is one “part” of MPEG-4

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Apple doesn’t own MP4. It’s developed by ISO and while it is based on Apple technology, Apple doesn’t own or control it in totality. About a dozen companies own it Apple being one of then. It is not proprietary.

By the way, it is by definition an industry standard

MP4 is one “part” of MPEG-4

Yes, but Apple has chosen to support it idiosyncratically essentially making its support proprietary.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yes, but Apple has chosen to support it idiosyncratically essentially making its support proprietary.

MP4 isn't an Apple technology. If others choose to use legacy formats that's fine but it doesn't make MP4 proprietary to Apple. Apple's FairPlay DRM is proprietary but the underlaying AV protocols are not.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
They are replacing Quicktime , in terms of the framework used. That's why the new "Quicktime" Player on Mavericks doesn't take advantage of Quicktime Components for playback anymore. Apple's moving away from Quicktime (not the Quicktime container file format though). You can see for yourself that the QTKit framework is deprecated as of OS X 10.9.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
AVI? I've had it choke on MP4s!

Both Microsoft and Apple like to pretend their proprietary file formats are industry standards, and it's pretty pathetic.

My Surface RT hasn't choked up on almost any videos, except if they blatantly don't support the format. On their support page, they told me t download and install the older version because the new one is apparently that bad.

----------

They are replacing Quicktime , in terms of the framework used. That's why the new "Quicktime" Player on Mavericks doesn't take advantage of Quicktime Components for playback anymore. Apple's moving away from Quicktime (not the Quicktime container file format though). You can see for yourself that the QTKit framework is deprecated as of OS X 10.9.

Huh, I didn't know. So they've moved to something new and it still messes up? Weird.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
This seems relevant

I really have had little to no complaints with Quicktime over the past 13-14 years. On some systems I may have installed Perian but more often than not I would just add in the appropriate codecs and Quicktime would work. For those times that it didn't I would open with VLC. Maybe very minor annoyances at the most.

As always though, if you truly feel that Quicktime is completely inept then please realize that complaining on an internet forum does absolutely nothing to make the change you wish to see. Apple's official channel is their Feedback site. Specifically for this I would recommend filing feedback through their Quicktime Feedback page.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
This seems relevant

I really have had little to no complaints with Quicktime over the past 13-14 years. On some systems I may have installed Perian but more often than not I would just add in the appropriate codecs and Quicktime would work. For those times that it didn't I would open with VLC. Maybe very minor annoyances at the most.

As always though, if you truly feel that Quicktime is completely inept then please realize that complaining on an internet forum does absolutely nothing to make the change you wish to see. Apple's official channel is their Feedback site. Specifically for this I would recommend filing feedback through their Quicktime Feedback page.

A) I have given feedback
B) I have to have it be opened by something else every time because it won't keep the preference for me.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
B) I have to have it be opened by something else every time because it won't keep the preference for me.

Assuming you've already set an AVI (and whatever other video files) to open with VLC or whatever alternate media player, and opted to "change all" using the option attached below, then you might have an issue with Finder.

If this is the case I would recommend following the usual troubleshooting steps for software issues. Repair permissions via Disk Utility, dump Finder's preferences, verify/repair your disk via Disk Utility, Safe boot, etc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 7.59.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-18 at 7.59.12 AM.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 274

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it

That was Quicktime 7. There is no more "pro" version of Quicktime. QT X is it, with its far more limited capabilities.

The only thing I like about QT is that there are a lot of really good plug-ins for it. Flip4Mac and Perian allow QT to handle just about any type of media, and it's integrated seamlessly. I like that convenience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.