Why doesn't Apple Retail store keep 27 inch i7 in stock?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aneftp, Jan 5, 2010.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

Currently in Orlando. Visited the Altamonte Springs Store this past weekend. I know the apple.com sites says there about a 2 week shipping delay so that's why I went to the store.

However, that store says most if not all Apple retail stores do not keep the core i7's in stock. They had plenty of i5s available but I wanted the i7.

Is this the case nationwide at other Apple Retail stores? I'm surprise they don't at least keep 1-2 core i7s in stock at these retail stores.

If people are going to blow $2K on a computer, they will blow 2200 on the i7.

It's not like I want a personal configuration of 8GB of DDR3 RAM. I just want the i7 with the base 1TB and base 4GB RAM.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Apple stores stock standard configurations only. The i7 is a CTO (configure to order) model.

3. akadmon macrumors 68010

Sucks for people who l live in states that have a sales tax (e.g. MA) and are close to states that don't (e.g., NH).

4. tomacintosh macrumors regular

Still, I think he has a point, the i7 seems to be a way more popular choice. I'd like them to start having them readily available, especially with all these return problems.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Technically you're supposed to pay taxes on purchases anyway. I am not sure of the tax laws if you buy from states without sales tax.

Either way, as it was said, the 27" i7 is CTO.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What are you basing that assumption on? Post on MacRumors? :rolleyes:

7. tomacintosh macrumors regular

Partly, but just the Internet as a whole, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Blogs etc. I lot of people who go Quad fork up the extra for the i7. It'd be at least feasible for Apple to have a few in-store. But then I guess they might once they start fulfilling Internet orders.

8. akadmon macrumors 68010

Hahaha! Yes, <AIR QUOTE >technically</AIR QUOTE> :rolleyes: Why would anybody willingly do this is beyond me! Last I heard, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is not a charity.

I've shelled out close to 10 grand on Apple stuff in the last 3 years, and all I can say is thank God for New Hampshire! I'd rather spend the money I save there on a cause I champion, namely my family, rather than on funding some fat cat politician's sail boat.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I think, perhaps, the Core i7 version will get its own 'default' configuration in time, depending on demand and how the product performs generally.

At the moment I think it's probably too expensive (and needlessly powerful) for the vast majority of iMac purchasers.

The Core 2 Duo model is probably by far the most popular. A statement that really deserves a sad face, but I'll let it off.

10. BayouTiger macrumors regular

Some CTO Builds are stocked

I hate to bump a very old thread, but this misinformation comes up a lot when searching.

Fact is that several CTO builds are stocked at local Apple Stores. I am sure they vary, but I bought both my 27" i7 and 17" i7 Matte at the local store. Do not just assume that they don't have it, and they will never give you the right info over the phone you have to go in. Some will be listed on the display cards, others will not.

You may also want to have the person you ask go to the back and double check. It amazes me how uninformed the floor people at the local Apple store are. I stopped by on Wednesday afternoon to see the Lion release and the person I spoke with did not even know there were new Mini's and Air's....Or maybe they were just trying to sell the old ones.