Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
Why doesn't apple use 5 camera lens that will provide more zoom options to the users. I love 5X zoom in my iPhone 15 Pro Max, but there are occasions when 5X is overkill and 2X isn't enough for me and I need zoom levels between 2X and 5X. 5 lens camera system in Galaxy Ultra series has been very successful. Apple is following 3 lens since 12 Pro Max, I think its time they implement 5 lens system to 16 PM which is slightly bigger than 15 PM

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Yeah I know what you mean. I like my 5x also. I want Apple to give us 48mp on that 5x as well! Portraits will be so much better. I currently use the Beastgrip 1.7x telephoto over the 1x & 5x cameras. Works great, but it’s extra gear you have to carry around. But the 1.7x makes up for the spaces between the other cameras. Moment has the new T-series lenses, Sandmarc has good lenses as well including a 6x lens (sticks out 3” from the iPhone) “crazy looking”.

Well if you use the cameras as Apple describes, you have a total of 7 cameras in your pocket…

12MP ultrawide – Macro

12MP ultrawide – 13mm

48MP main – 24mm

48MP main- 28mm

48MP main – 35mm

48MP telephoto – 48mm (2x zoom)

12MP telephoto – 77mm (3x zoom in iPhone 15 Pro)

12MP telephoto – 120mm (5x zoom in iPhone 15 Pro Max)

Last edited:
Reactions: maverick786us

maverick786us

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA
Yeah I know what you mean. I like my 5x also. I want Apple to give us 48mp on that 5x as well! Portraits will be so much better. I currently use the Beastgrip 1.7x telephoto over the 1x & 5x cameras. Works great, but it’s extra gear you have to carry around. But the 1.7x makes up for the spaces between the other cameras. Moment has the new T-series lenses, Sandmarc has good lenses as well including a 6x lens (sticks out 3” from the iPhone) “crazy looking”.

Well if you use the cameras as Apple describes, you have a total of 7 cameras in your pocket…

12MP ultrawide – Macro

12MP ultrawide – 13mm

48MP main – 24mm

48MP main- 28mm

48MP main – 35mm

48MP telephoto – 48mm (2x zoom)

12MP telephoto – 77mm (3x zoom in iPhone 15 Pro)

12MP telephoto – 120mm (5x zoom in iPhone 15 Pro Max)
I went through the technical specifications of Beastgrip 1.7x telephoto. No doubt it's a very good piece of hard of hardware. I thought that lens will be mounted using magnet, but I realize that I have to use that external frame. I mostly take videos using my iPhone. I use insta360 flow gimbal for recording the video.

So...

1. Insta360 flow might not recognize that lens.
2. The clamp of insta360 flow won't be able to hold the phone when its wrapped around the frame of BEastgrip

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
iPhone is all about incremental upgrades. Next year will have a small camera improvement, the following year another, etc.
They string out improvements for as long as they can. They don’t want to run out of upgrade potential for the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.