Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
mostly a matter of looking dated really but why? they just doubled down on a more expensive fully loaded imac pro that will launch dec 2017. Even the future unit will be bezel'd

imac2017mm

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2017
They could have, but havng thick bezels doesnt stop people from getting work done.

If they refuced them the screen size from corner to corner would probably be 30inches

Reactions: mbosse

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
mostly a matter of looking dated really but why? they just doubled down on a more expensive fully loaded imac pro that will launch dec 2017. Even the future unit will be bezel'd
The reason the iMac is so thin at the edge has to do with the bezel. If Apple shrinks the bezel, then the edge has to get thicker for there to be room for components like the internal speakers.

Yes, I agree that I don't spend much time looking at my iMac from the side (although I'm not sure the same can be said for Apple's web marketing team). But having large bezels doesn't really matter on a desktop either.

Reactions: Precursor

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
?

Maybe. For the purposes of having a border around a display area, the utterly unmarred black border is about as beautiful as it gets, isn't it?

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Below the bezel is the area where the sticky tape is located to adhere the screen to the case. So technically its necessary.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Look at the Dell monitors, as nice as they are, their thin bezels created a huge problem for LED backlight bleeding across all models. If iMacs' bezel is any thinner, expect much higher out of the box returns, or generally worse backlight uniformity / dark lit performance.

mbosse

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Vienna, Austria
Look at the Dell monitors, as nice as they are, their thin bezels created a huge problem for LED backlight bleeding across all models. If iMacs' bezel is any thinner, expect much higher out of the box returns, or generally worse backlight uniformity / dark lit performance.
That's an interesting argument. Thanks for posting!

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
That's an interesting argument. Thanks for posting!
Even more interesting is that Dell knows this. In their newest 4K HDR line up, the lesser U2718Q which is only sRGB (consumer model), it is thin bezel and as expected is subjected to bleed and some IPS glow (unflat surface perhaps). Then the much more expensive UP2718Q which covers aRGB and DCI-P3 and HDR10 (professional colorist model) uses the good old "fugly" thick bezel.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I'm with others - I don't care if the iMac has small or large bezels. I'd rather Apple continue focusing on performance than appearance when it comes to their professional machines. Getting work done is far more important than having thinner bezels, and to be honest the iMac design feels as modern today as it did in 2007.

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
I wonder if the people who like the bezel say so because they recently bought a new iMac.

I guess my 6 year old iMac looks very modern by that account.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I wonder if the people who like the bezel say so because they recently bought a new iMac.

I guess my 6 year old iMac looks very modern by that account.

My first iMac was in 2011. I still think the design looks modern. You don't often think about the design when you've got work to do on your iMac.

imac2017mm

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2017
Thinner bezels would also require them to reduce the curve/radius on the rounded corners. The actual viewing area is a square... unless they do rounded screen like LG G6

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Bezel helps to not get distracted. when you have a screen with almost no bezel, the side of the monitor tends to fuse with the background. Both me and my father have a white wall behind our computer but he has thinner bezel on his monitor; every time I use his PC I feel annoyed by it. But this is just my personal feeling.
I also know that having big bezel is a problem if you want to use 2 monitors.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I care. They better shave off that tumorous bezel by next update next year.
[doublepost=1503357280][/doublepost]
The iMac is a tool not a work of art to be looked at and not touched.

Priorities...

Eh...I never listen to comments like these. I buy Apple products for their good looks as well as their functionality. They are a work of art to me. To each their own.

Last edited:

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
another add on that I feel must go is the huge chin. While I could see the need for bezels around in black to improve viewing (I am willing to believe this argument), the huge chin is fugly

Reactions: Icaras

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
I care. They better shave off that tumorous bezel by next update next year.
[doublepost=1503357280][/doublepost]

Eh...I never listen to comments like these. I buy Apple products for their good looks as well as their functionality. They are a work of art to me. To each their own.
Well in that case Apple apparently chose function over form, to each their own. I hope I could say the same with the touch bar MBPs.

Also let me stress it again, with the current tech, thinner bezel means inevitably compromising screen quality. This will change with OLEDs altogether, fortunately.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
I buy Apple products for their good looks as well as their functionality. They are a work of art to me. To each their own.

As do I, but it is an entirely subjective issue.

I like the bezel and appreciate the lack of backlight bleed it affords. I like the chin too. To each their own indeed.

There is no point in arguing aesthetics.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think its ugly, and based on the other replies, I'm not alone.

I think the iMac is a great looking and great functioning computer that allows me to work.

imac2017mm

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2017
For an all in one computer it should look just like that. If anything it should standout ... and the chin is not that big

fusionid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
You guys crack me up. No reason to discuss aesthetics? The reason not iMac i7s over heat is aesthetics.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010

I honestly don't care about the size of the bezel, if anything the machine is too thin and now useful stuff (SD cards, USB ports, etc) have to be hidden around the back of the machine. I'd rather the machine got thicker so the cooling was better and ports were moved to the front so I could access them more easily - i.e. get some work done rather than sitting there in my underpants starting at it's beauty.

Reactions: fusionid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.