Why doesn't closing the last app default to homescreen?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by deuxani, Sep 2, 2013.

1. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

So, most people don't close all their apps, but I do (and some other OCD'ers too) :) And since Beta 1 (till Beta 6) this is what happens when you close the last app:

[​IMG]

Isn't that completely useless? You are left in a state where nothing makes sense. There isn't any app open, there is nothing to do here and there is only one way out: click the homescreen to leave the multitasking screen. It almost feels like an external app or something. What would make sense is when you close the last app, that it would go back to your actual homescreen, not a miniaturised version of it that has to be clicked.

Is this a designflaw, because it doesn't boost productivity?

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

3. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Completely agree. There's no good reason why it can't just hop straight back to the home screen once the last app is closed.

Also, can I have that wallpaper?

4. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

It doesn't feel wrong to me. It's showing the user that no apps are open. If you exit and come back without starting an app it'll again show the user that no apps are open.

Like the OS maybe?

5. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

Exactly. If nothing happened when you double clicked the home button it'd be a lot more of a concern for users, who may think their button is broken, than it is to show them this dummy homescreen app which also makes clear there are no other apps.

Now, once you accept that double clicking home button should show this dummy view, I feel you can only agree it's consistent that it also shows it when you close all your apps within multitasking view.

6. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

7. deuxani thread starter macrumors 6502

deuxani

Here you go :) (Parallax optimised)

[​IMG]

It makes sense what you guys are saying. And I agree that if no apps are open you would see this screen and you would have to click the homescreen screenshot or press the home button to return to your actual homescreen, as in this state your goal is to see if you have any apps open.
    But when I close my final app, I have reached my goal and closed my final app and there is no reason for me to be on that screen anymore, because you can't do anything there, there are no options or other ways out of there. And me closing the last app means I'm done closing all apps and returning to the homescreen is the only possible next step in my workflow. So why not do that automatically instead of needing to click the screen or homebutton?

I'm not saying this is a bad execution, because I truly love the new multitasking! But this is just a final, and in my opinion, logical functionality that could be added. Would you rather have it as is or have it return to the homescreen after closing your last app in the list?