Why doesn't Final Cut Pro automatically save?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by squeeks, Aug 9, 2007.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

why do i even bother posting in mac forums all everyone does is defend apple and not help with problems

2. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok i figured out how to make it auto save sooner

i was about 3 minutes away from the half hour auto save, now it will auto save every 5 minutes

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Is Command + S really all that hard? And what do you mean "Final Cut Studio" - that's a suite of apps including Final Cut Pro.

4. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Your title is wrong, this really has nothing to do with Macs, as it's a software feature (though made by the same company).

You should probably read the manual before calling something "stupid."

5. mags631 Guest

I'm actually embarrassed that you and I have the same machine.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You really should take a few moments to acquaint yourself with the software before you start yelling that it doesn't do what you want.

In fact, most people should open the preferences just after they start an application for the first time to see if there is something it can do for them that would be extra helpful.

7. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

i said macs because my apps crash all the time, safari, motion (which there was an update for today maybe that will help) and now FCP

8. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

have you ever used final cut pro?

there are a million preferences in thousands of different places..i didn't bother to look for this particular one because i didn't think apple would be stupid enough to have it wait half an hour to auto save, vegas auto saves every 5 minutes by default

if you all would bother to read my second post instead of just jumping right out and bashing on me you would see that i figured out my problem

9. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

yes i realize that i was just annoyed at my silly machine for unexpectedly quitting fcp it wasent really ment to be a question

i think i need to reinstall OSX

wait how is a mac different from a PC again?

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm not really seeing how you're drawing all these insane conclusions. Safari and Motion and FCP all work fine for me and most people, so yes, you probably have something wrong with your computer.

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You're the first person to ever use complicated software, obviously.

Vegas? You mean Video Vegas or did you use an old Chevrolet? There is a huge difference between some cheap application and a professional application of any kind.

Take your time; you'll get there faster. If you check things out rather than trying to force things, you might learn something and avoid trouble.

It's likely you're really missing something. I haven't had to re-install Mac OS X since the initial paid release, 10.0. Check for patches like the recent Pro Application patch, repair permissions, verify the drive.

12. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

which would be why i said i need to reinstall osx...

i was hoping to wait until leopard and do a clean install..but im thinking sooner is going to be better

its my first "real" mac experience, i had an imac g5 but it was so slow i never used it, and motion crashed on there all the time too, so i sold that and got this much nicer faster machine, and it is considerably faster...but since its the first mac ive used full time ive been experimenting with all sorts of software that ive installed and deleted trying to figure out what i want to use, so now that i got that down, a full reinstall of osx will clean everything up, i can install just the stuff i know i use, and be good...hopefully...right?

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You really aught to get used to Mac OS X before you start hacking it to pieces.

14. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

no no, this is regular everyday utilitys and such, i cant think of any OS hacks ive done...that i can recall...i think...yeah

ive messed around with some of the slightly illegal leopard betas, but that was all on separate HDs i have a bootcamp partition that i dont use, but i dont think that would be causing any problems...cant seem to get windows to install for some reason i cant remember why though something with the installer

i think ive got a pretty good knowledge of osx though on a scale of 1-10 computer savvy wise, id say im a 7 hardware is more my specialty though rather than programing, but i know my way around an os

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If those includ OnyX or Monolingual, those are key suspects!

That shouldn't be the first thing you try on a computer you don't know how to use.

16. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

nope, not sure what onyX is, and dont need monolingual, i removed the language translations when i reinstalled osx after i upgraded the harddrive

just started messing with that last week, ive had the computer for about 2 months now..figured id give it a try, i really wanted to use the partition to install leopard, but i couldnt get the newest version past the language screen

17. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well you can try repairing permissions and see if that helps for a day or so.

18. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

just did that yesterday trying to get idvd to work, i should try and fix that, but i think most of the fixes people have found require reinstalling ilife and i dont want to lost my imovie projects that apple no longer lets you save

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Have you been saving your projects inside iMovie somehow?

Installing the software isn't going to affect projects saved in your user area.

20. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

i would love to do this, however apple decided that a file save function was no longer needed all of your work is saved automatically within the app

21. citi macrumors 65816

citi

1.I'm confused, if you have final cut studio, why are you still saving in imovie? Seems a little redundant.

2. Not saying you did this, but if you bought motion and the FCS from less than legal affiliates, there is a version out that crashes constantly. If you bought it from apple than make sure you are using the most up to date version.

3. I know you are frustrated...but relax, you catch more flies with honey...I have read over a lot of you posts, this one and ones from other thread. You definitely give all a negative vibe...Take it how you want, but all I am saying is, in a community where people give "free" advice you are not going to get many people running to help you when you are screaming things like, "mac sucks, I might as well stick with pc, and all you guys do is defend mac". Help is given...it's not an entitlement.

22. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

1.sometimes its a lot easier to work in imovie than FCS, i just made a wedding montage of pictures from my friends 2nd wedding aniversery using imovie 08 then idvd 08 (which finally works now, and works well i might add) this is the project im worried about losing.

2. yes they are both legal copies installed from original apple DVDs using a legal apple serial number

well i take that back, i installed from duplicated dvds(fcs, ilife is original disk), which i burnt from the originals as backups (1300 dollars for a piece of software you bet im going to make a backup copy) but it installed without any issues

and i think i give enough advice around here to warrent a little sympathy when things arent going my way :p

im just having a negative sorta time with my mac right now and its frustrating