Why doesn't gmail fetch on its own using iPhone's native mail app?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Bugeyeblue, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

It seems to fetch for a day or 2, then doesn't get anything for a full 24 hours. I occasionally turn my phone off and back on, and it shows all my emails on the lock screen.

It just seems like it works when it wants to. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't like the gmail app.

2. cobbyco, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

It used to work many moons ago, but then Apple Google decided to be dicks and stop it from doing so.

Either use the Gmail app, or forward your Gmail account through your iCloud email and set that up in the native app.

3. Bugeyeblue, Dec 8, 2013

Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Thanks for the reply. You're right, that's exactly what they did. My only problem with using the forwarding the way you described is that I ran out of iCloud space.

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

In the ~5 months that I've used the ios7 mail app, I've never had an issue with it not fetching my data. Seems like you need to restore your phone, add & remove the account again, something.

Also, have you tried Mailbox?

5. cobbyco, Dec 8, 2013

cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

The 'problem' is specific to Gmail accounts, and is to do with Apple's servers. Google don't like Apple users receiving Gmail emails, so they disabled Push and Fetch (to an extent) for Gmail on their end.

I think this happened in January 2012, though users of Gmail on the Mail app from before then weren't affected by the changes.

6. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Didn't like mailbox. Can't control the app badge icon the way I want to and it has to check and download new email when you open the app even though it shows you have new mail.

I've restored twice since upgrading to ios 7. Never got any better.

7. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Like I said, starting with iOS 3.0 and now with iOS 7, I've never had issues with the stock mail app fetching my two gmail accounts.

----------

That's really weird.

If you don't mind the pre-iOS7 interface, Sparrow is still in my opinion the best gmail app

8. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

That's why. You've been using the app since iOS 3. Those who have used the app for Gmail since before last year aren't affected by the changes.

9. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

dude you sound crazy.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

You realize that it was Google that made changes to not support push as of beginning of this year, right? It's not an Apple conspiracy of some sort.

11. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

Oh, I thought I'd read that it was Apple who made the changes. My bad. Still, those who had Gmail set up before the changes still get push now.

No, it's true.

12. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

You clearly don't even understand what the OP is asking/talking about. Yes, Google disabled PUSH for new Gmail accounts. This, however, has nothing to do with OP having issues with is gmail bringing down emails via FETCH. They are completely unrelated.

13. cobbyco macrumors 6502a

cobbyco

From my experience, when the changes happened Fetch stopped working properly; it only seemed to fetch the emails when there was more than one unread email to fetch. And yes, Mail was set to fetch every 30 minutes. Perhaps there is actually a problem with a few devices? I don't know.

And I should have said Push and Fetch. I'm tired at the moment. :(