Why doesn't iOS have a gatekeeper function?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by JoEw, Jun 21, 2012.

1. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Can anyone give me a reason why there isn't a gatekeeper function on iOS? If mac will have it why can't iOS? Do you think there ever will? It puzzles me why I have to jailbreak to get the native Grooveshark app or SBSettings.

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Because iOS has always been sandboxed. There has never been a way to get applications from another source (save for internal development or corporate deployment)

Macs have always had external application distribution so improving the safety of these apps is paramount but not something that wasn't already available with iOS apps on the app store.

Don't expect iOS to enable anything like Gatekeeper. The App store has been a large success and consumers by and large do not mind walled gardens so long as they are safe.

3. JoEw thread starter macrumors 65816

JoEw

Why not get all the users? Give people the choice? By default gatekeeper is on 90% of all users will never even know what it does. But that 10% of people that want to go outside a walled garden can. It seems like a win for apple (more costumers) and a win for users who want some more flexibility. And yeah sure the app store is great. But the fact is I want grooveshark and sbsettings and this screen color optimizer called f.lux. I mean these are very useful tweaks and apps. And if they can't go into the app store. i don't see why they should be held back from being distributed.

4. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Because that's not how iOS works. It goes against Apples vision, where they strictly control content that runs on their devices.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Think about it like this.

With iCloud ...restoring apps is trivial because there's a history of every application. When I back up my iOS devices I don't have to account for content purchased on the Apple stores. I've got hundreds of apps on my iOS devices and none cost me any storage.

I'm not sure that buying my apps from other stores is going to deliver this kind of cohesive backup and restore strategy for apps.

Another problem is in Mountain Lion Gatekeeper apps don't have access to iCloud or Notification Center. iOS would likely follow suit if they offered such a feature and on my mobile devices iCloud and NC support is a must.

I like choice too but often too much choice means a subpar experience for us all. There has to be a happy median.

6. JoEw thread starter macrumors 65816

JoEw

I need to backup my sbsettings? My tweaks? How does controlling my device effect your experience? I see what your point is but the fact is that I can sleep at night without the need for such things. And like I said the gatekeeper idea would give people that choice. I wish apple would at least allow tweaks into the app store like sbsettings and f.lux both are great tweaks I wish apple would have built in natively to iOS years ago or 5 icons in the dock :rolleyes:

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

They argue that they want to control the experience.
    If they allow you too much.
    The experience changes because people will change too many things.
    If people use bad programs from elsewhere they fear that people will blame Apple for a bad experience. The same way idiot people that suffer from the "I click everything I can and install everything I find disorder" always blame Microsoft for offering an OS that gets slower and slower.

We just have to keep jail-breaking the hardware or buy hardware from those that allow you to use it anyway you want.
    Me I don't like iOS. I still have an iphone and will keep it until the battery life will force me to buy a new smartphone but my next will be Android or Windows 8. The amount of universal access and sync over many different devices, handling of different files, just simple importing and using different files is so much nicer and simpler.

8. Dav1 macrumors 6502

:confused: are you actually claiming that there are no poor programs in iTunes? That if people install every ***free*** app in iTunes they can't run into issues?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It's called Jailbreaking.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Theoretically there shouldn't be any serious problems.

Apps are heavily locked down in iOS, not being able to interact with other Apps or their data. Apps can't do things like run automatically when you turn on the phone or change your device's settings.

An App can only run when it's in the foreground, with a few specific exemptions.

These things mean that even if you have a crappy app, it's only going to do something bad (waste your battery for example) when it's running and that it can't do anything really serious (like erasing data).