Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jon80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
I’m aware some apps let you do this in their respective settings, but for at least 5 years this has been my most wanted iOS feature. Why on earth does apple not mind apps like Facebook ballooning to 1gb and not allowing a system level app cache management tool?

I’m aware in theory it is automatic, but in reality for me this doesn’t happen until I have very little storage left and clears very little.

Genuinely interested in the logic behind this!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
This is hilarious. As if Apple actually listens to feedback.
Once a month for 2 years I sent Apple feedback about separating Health from backups. Call it coincidence or not, but they separated health from backups.
[doublepost=1511974335][/doublepost]
I’m aware some apps let you do this in their respective settings, but for at least 5 years this has been my most wanted iOS feature. Why on earth does apple not mind apps like Facebook ballooning to 1gb and not allowing a system level app cache management tool?

I’m aware in theory it is automatic, but in reality for me this doesn’t happen until I have very little storage left and clears very little.

Genuinely interested in the logic behind this!
OP, there are multiple apps in the App Store that do just this. Check out Magic Cleaner or Dr. Clean.

Reactions: Vampire14

Jon80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
As compared to asking random online users who are not involved with Apple why Apple won't do something?
I have indeed asked Apple, on many occasions.

If you read my question I was asking what is the logic of apples approach. Apple clearly has a reason on something which seems so straight forward to me. Therefore asking people with apple and tech knowledge this question seems, contrary to your demeaning post, that this is the exact appropriate place to ask.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

If you read my question I was asking what is the logic of apples approach. Apple clearly has a reason on something which seems so straight forward to me. Therefore asking people with apple and tech knowledge this question seems, contrary to your demeaning post, that this is the exact appropriate place to ask.
Well iOS apps will self cache clean once they grow to big. You will see the App name change to "cleaning...".

But as I posted above, there are apps that will manually force this cleaning.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Nothing demeaning in my post aside from basically saying for something like this only Apple would know why they did or didn't do something. And asking Apple has certainly resulted in some answers before from and for different people, so not sure what was demeaning about my question of whether or not you asked them about it (especially since you actually have and clearly considered that to be a worthwhile thing to do).

Last edited:

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
Well iOS apps will self cache clean once they grow to big. You will see the App name change to "cleaning...".

But as I posted above, there are apps that will manually force this cleaning.

where/which apps have u seen this? the weather network app which i use for years, had 6gb of junk in it, i recently reinstalled it just to claim my space back.. im yet to see any app auto reduce their cache, either keep climbing, or stay the same at best.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I could be way off but isn’t holding the power button till the (slide to power off) pop up, then release power button and hold home button for roughly 5 seconds do that? I’ve been doing that for years once every couple months lol...

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I could be way off but isn’t holding the power button till the (slide to power off) pop up, then release power button and hold home button for roughly 5 seconds do that? I’ve been doing that for years once every couple months lol...

That clears the ram, not the app cache which takes up space on your device.

Reactions: nwmtnbiker

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Apps that properly utilize and mark their contents as disposable or place them in the proper location will have those resources optimized by the system automatically. From Apple's docs:

Put temporary data in the tmp/ directory. Temporary data comprises any data that you do not need to persist for an extended period of time. Remember to delete those files when you are done with them so that they do not continue to consume space on the user’s device. The system will periodically purge these files when your app is not running; therefore, you cannot rely on these files persisting after your app terminates.

Many developers let the system handle the resources instead of writing an explicit button and the system on iOS is pretty resistant to purging unless its after a system upgrade, file space begins to shrink, or some other occasional event.
This isn't a catch all though: They can store cache improperly and then the system won't handle it, instead choosing their own method.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
where/which apps have u seen this? the weather network app which i use for years, had 6gb of junk in it, i recently reinstalled it just to claim my space back.. im yet to see any app auto reduce their cache, either keep climbing, or stay the same at best.
Magic Cleaner and Dr. Clean are two apps. Battery Doctor used to do it, but they removed the functionality.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Magic Cleaner and Dr. Clean are two apps. Battery Doctor used to do it, but they removed the functionality.

Yeah I've used both of those along with other apps... They clear some cache files, but the big ones like Facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc never get cleared.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah I've used both of those along with other apps... They clear some cache files, but the big ones like Facebook, instagram, snapchat, etc never get cleared.
Thats because they are sneaky. They don't write cache files as "temp" files. I primarily use it to clear out Real Racing 3 files. After I beat a "series" I don't need the 300MB of car files anymore.

Anything that is a temp file will be cleared with the apps, you just may have to run it a few times. I usually run it 2-3 times, or until it says "no junk found".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
A number of posts were removed for rules violation. Please stay on topic and be civil

Rules for Appropriate Debate

Respect
Guidelines: Show respect for your fellow posters. Expect and accept that other users may have strongly held opinions that differ from yours.

Rules:

1. Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
  2. Insults. Slurs and insults against groups of people based on negative-stereotyping and obvious generalizations fall into the category of trolling and will be treated as such.
  3. Taunting. Mocking or taunting another forum member is not acceptable. Posts that ridicule another member or obviously exaggerate or misstate their views may be removed.

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Once a month for 2 years I sent Apple feedback about separating Health from backups. Call it coincidence or not, but they separated health from backups.
[doublepost=1511974335][/doublepost]
OP, there are multiple apps in the App Store that do just this. Check out Magic Cleaner or Dr. Clean.
What do you mean it is separated? Is it possible to do a restore and start a new phone and get the health data onto it without everything else?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
What do you mean it is separated? Is it possible to do a restore and start a new phone and get the health data onto it without everything else?
Yes. Turn iCloud health toggle on. Wait for it to sync. Check iCloud storage and look for health. (It’s going to be significantly smaller than the size in your phone because it’s compressed). Restore phone as new. Sign into iCloud. Wait about 30 minutes. Check health/activity. It’s all restored. Workouts, health, activity and achievements. I restored my 8Plus as new and only had health.

Reactions: Vampire14 and rjp1

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
Yes. Turn iCloud health toggle on. Wait for it to sync. Check iCloud storage and look for health. (It’s going to be significantly smaller than the size in your phone because it’s compressed). Restore phone as new. Sign into iCloud. Wait about 30 minutes. Check health/activity. It’s all restored. Workouts, health, activity and achievements. I restored my 8Plus as new and only had health.
Thank you so much!

I used to always do a fresh install each year instead of restoring from backup, but when I started using Health I wanted to keep that data. My old phone started randomly doing a volume down at random times, and restoring to a new iPhone X has brought along that problem. I wanted to do a fresh install, and now I can!

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
I guess the reason you can't clear the App Cache is that the App Cache is not a thing. There isn't any thing called "App Cache".

Apps don't have a cache in the same sense as the browser.

There is however a directory called Library/Caches within each app's sandbox. But it bears no relationship to a browser cache.

The developer can create subdirectories and place whatever they want in this directory. It is NOT backed-up locally or to iCloud. It is completely emptied if the device is reset. And the OS can delete it's content if flash memory is critically low.

Since there is no fixed structure to content - that is up to the app author - the OS can only either leave it alone or empty it completely.

Since the OS can empty it if space is needed, there really is no practical reason to be able to manually empty it.

It is up to the app author to insure that the app will tolerate content being deleted, and then the app should go fetch wahtever data might be needed.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Because they don't want you to see how fast your phone really is for a second before everything loads back up and throttle is back in full force :D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because they don't want you to see how fast your phone really is for a second before everything loads back up and throttle is back in full force :D
What does throttling have to do with this?

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
That’s what we need in every apps out there!
1c6224ea3e49e423cb6f1c309da6b034.jpg

Reactions: 2ndtry and pacorob

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I totally agree with the topic starter @Jon80 this is also one annoying feature especially for apps like Facebook which is why I in the end switched to a third party app (Friendly+) but that isn't always possible let alone if you want to do that due to security reasons among other reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.