Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I've seen my friend on his Nexus 4 where he can use a multitude of gestures to perform a quick Google search, open a specific app, bring up multitasking, etc. The iPhone can't do this.

What really makes this odd is the fact that Apple made the whole gesture-based approach popular with Mac OS X. It works so seamlessly, especially with Mountain Lion and the trackpad on their line of MacBook laptops.

That's what makes this all the more puzzling: Why doesn't iOS use more gestures? iPad's iOS uses some gestures (e.g., closing apps, swiping for the multitasking tray) but even then it's quite limited.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
It's probably a desire not to unnecessarily complicate things for a feature that few would likely use on such a small screen. On the iPad, I can understand it, as you have plenty of room for all fingers in either orientation. That's not true of a 4" screen.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Any system-wide gesture that Apple introduces has the potential to break functionality in existing apps. Even the notification center caused problems.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I'd love it if Apple integrated Zephyr into iOS. Awesome tweak!

Yes, or Automator. Those are awesome. Unfortunately for me, jailbreaking isn't really something I enjoy doing. I just think Apple should add a few more gestures to toggle settings or for the multitasking tray (iPad-like).

iOS 7 rumours suggest that the team is implementing more gestures, so I may get my wish after all!

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
Being able to swipe left and right in my browser for page returning on my ipad seems like an obvious omission

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.