Why doesnt iPad have automatic time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhazonUK, Jan 12, 2011.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I was just using my iPad and grabbed my iPhone to send an SMS when I noticed the time on the two were different.
    I the checked the date and time options on my iPhone 4 and it was set to automatic. Then checked my iPad...and it had no automatic option.

This isn't a major issue for me or anything, I'm just curious why the iPad is missing the option for automatic time.

2. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Good observation. I just checked, and my iPad time was off by a few minutes.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it's a 3G iPad, it has the option. The iPod Touch does not have this option. The reason for the two is that the time is set using the cell tower's local time. The tower's local time can sometimes be incorrect up to ten minuets.

4. nemesys macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro doesn't have 3G and I can set the time to be set automatically. That's not a totally valid reason.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

Maybe it has something to do with power conservation, since syncing with an internet time server obviously requires periodically using WiFi. It's not a big deal on a laptop, and 3G devices must get the time from the tower anyway, but it would be an unnecessary power expense for WiFi-only iDevices. That's one theory. The other theory is that they simply haven't bothered to include internet time server-based time syncing yet, since it would be a distinct process from getting the time from the tower.

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I noticed this before. I have seen it being almost 5 minutes off the actual time. It seems they could just include a simple sync whenever Wifi is connected, which is essentially 100% of the time for my iPad. And I don't mean a persistant connection, maybe just once per 24 hours so that it doesn't get so far off after a few weeks.

7. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

That is because it most likely syncs wit the Internet (apples website) it corrects the time using that. As for my 3G iPad it has the option for that because it is always connected to the Internet. They probably felt it wasn't nessacery to put it on the wifi. Case closed

8. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

If you don't know what you're talking about, what makes you qualified to close the case?

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I know it's pathetic isn't it.

I did read that it was supposed to work but for some reason did not.

Crazy when you think about it, how something so simple is not done.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Doesn't it sync time with the computer running iTunes when you sync it?

That could be the reason Apple didn't include something like that, expecting people to sync to itunes often enough for it to not matter?

11. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

No, this bug has been with the Wifi iPad since its inception. It's incredible that Apple has not fixed this bug after 11 months. The clock on my iPad is off by 8 minutes. Everything just works my ass. ;)

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

To be honest, Apple don't seem to be very good at programming a clock.
    Note the recent iPhone alarm screw up.

Really, one would not think it's rocket science.