Why doesn't iTunes sync home movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by trip1ex, Sep 10, 2009.

1. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

And now with the video cameras in the iPhone and Nano it seems like even more of a no-brainer.

And yet no option to do that is here as I type.

Ok I can probably do that if I store my movies in Iphoto, but Apple has this program called iMovie that made it easier to slap together simple home movies.

And yet no syncing with my iMovie library?

Who wouldn't want to keep a few movies on their iPod for showing folks?

I'm sure the option will come eventually, but ...what's taking the feck so long?

Or maybe Apple should combine iMovie and Iphoto's libraries. Something.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

When I finish making an iMovie project, I export it into a quicktime format compatible with my iPhone and/or Apple TV and drop those into iTunes. They are right there in my Movies section. And I am the artist. You can even change the kind to TV Show if you like and add date info, and sort them by season with season being anything you want such as Kids, Trips, etc. if you have that many home movies.

3. jersey10 macrumors regular

Can't you just convert your home movies via Handbrake and then pull them into iTunes? I believe that is what I did to get my home movies into iTunes.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Apple has export settings right in iMovie for going to iTunes with different presets for iTunes, Apple TV, iPhone, web streaming etc.

5. trip1ex thread starter macrumors 68000

My home movies are in iMovie. And probably already Ipod-compatible. Why do I have to manually "import" them into iTunes?

It should work like iPhoto. I plug in my Ipod and iTunes sees my home movies in iMOvie. And I can select which ones I want on my ipod. Doh!

6. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Plus, doesnt having to author it in imovie and then copy to itunes just eat up a lot of hard drive space for no good reason? Why wouldn't this just be another option under the movies tab to pull in imovie/user generated content? I agree with the OP... plus the conversion to a more iphone (ie space) friendly format could be done automatically just like photos are done today... as they import into the phone.

7. OriginalFormula macrumors regular

Because your iMovie files are project files, and not iPod compatible. Not only are they not iPod compatible, they are several times the size of a regular .mp4 file. And you're not really "manually" importing anything. You press a button, and everything happens for you.

iPhoto and iMovie are nothing alike. One organizes files you already have. The other lets you create new files. Totally different.

8. trip1ex thread starter macrumors 68000

Hhhmm good point about the differences between iPhoto and iMovie.

However photos in iPhoto are like the clips in iMovie.

I guess I was thinking not only finished edited projects from multiple clips, but the clips themselves. I suppose many of mine are stored in the iMOvie intermediate codec although I forget if iMovie also keeps them around in their native format or ....

But (anyway) many times we shoot 2 minutes of a clip and basically that's our home movie. It would be nice if I could synch with iMovie and choose between those clips. My clips are sort of organized with names and dates in iMovie.

But yeah you're right they are different beasts I guess. I have a couple of YouTube (edited) movies of my kids and I suppose I would have to put them into an iTunes format.

I guess that's why video isn't as popular. Too many steps. Too many formats. I also have some movie clips in Iphoto, but I bet they wouldn't work with an iPod because they .avi format. so again I'd have to convert them.