Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Just FYI - there's a 50+ post thread within the last week on this very topic. But feel free to go nuts all over again over a $20 cable. ;)

Who's going nuts?

I just bought one yesterday, and I thought it was a curious omission.. I didn't see the other thread, but if you're burned out or overwhelmed on the topic, feel free to let it go.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Who's going nuts?

I just bought one yesterday, and I thought it was a curious omission.. I didn't see the other thread, but if you're burned out or overwhelmed on the topic, feel free to let it go.
Try to have just the tiniest bit of humor about it. I was just pointing out another thread, no reason to act so offended.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Why no LED on the USB C charger plug? Also, why are we having to pay extra for the brick cord extension?

Only Apple really knows all the same this is what I think, Apple is all about margins;

Retina MacBook is bringing a lot of new technology to the table, in isolation USB C is significantly more complex at both component & software levels, it`s therefore conceivable that the current production cost is higher for the USB C charger. The display, keyboard, battery and SSD controller are also new technologies, equally there has to be a cost, this in general equates to higher price points and or lower margins.

To me Apple wanted to launch the Retina MacBook at the most competitive price as possible, given their extensive margins. For many the Retina MacBook is overpriced as their sole point of focus is the lack of ports and the choice of Core M. Apple are acutely aware of their space in the market and exactly what price the market is willing to bear.

The Retina MacBook is focused on less wires, less bulk, basically less to carry, inclusion of the mains extension would resolution in more cost, larger packaging & associated cost, and also somewhat against the Retina MacBook`s mantra of less is more. Another aspect is "waste" something Apple superficially does care about. How many people actually use the included mains extension? right now I have three portable Mac`s plugged in and non are using the extension, equally when I work in the field I always pack one by default, as they can and are very useful at times.

If it`s a matter of cutting cost to maintain price point and high margins, personally I don't agree, if it`s to save countless extension lead`s being thrown in the local landfill I definitely do agree. Ultimately only Apple knows why they omitted the mains extension for the RMB...

As for the LED it would need to be on the body of the NoteBook, not the USB C plug as it`s a unified standard, equally I don't see why Apple could not have taken advantage of the speaker grill micro holes for this purpose.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: Four oF NINE

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
An ideal rMB for me would have 1x USB C and a lower wattage magsafe. I can't count how many times the magsafe has saved my old MacBook.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Queen6

macrumors G4
An ideal rMB for me would have 1x USB C and a lower wattage magsafe. I can't count how many times the magsafe has saved my old MacBook.

The problem is that USB C also carries data, audio, video etc, and is physically significantly more complex that is the primary reason why no MagSafe, equally it`s a retrograde step. Personally my approach would be one of a power supply cable with a MagSafe "link" close the NoteBook it would allow for "mishaps" this would take nothing away from the utility of USB C, however it would allow for the safe discount of the power and prevent damage to the Notebook.

Problem is with out studying in depth the USB C standard it`s not possible to know if such a scenario is viable, I rather think I am not the first with such a concept...

Q-6

mafaky

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
You are perfectly right, but if Apple really wanted to include (even a miniaturized) MagSafe connector that would probably necessitate a 4-5 mm additional thickness for that 12" rMB.:(

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I think I have to agree with emilioestevez, this is Apple's policy, like omitting MagSafe, the LED, ports and making you pay extra for the brick cord extension, for the dongle etc. And it is considered to be the right and proper move by some. Well...
Btw, Ты прав.

I've always appreciated the extra range of having the brick extension cord, not to mention not to mention the extension avoids making other outlets on a power strip inaccessible.
Я подумал, что странно, да

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
The problem is that USB C also carries data, audio, video etc, and is physically significantly more complex that is the primary reason why no MagSafe, equally it`s a retrograde step. Personally my approach would be one of a power supply cable with a MagSafe "link" close the NoteBook it would allow for "mishaps" this would take nothing away from the utility of USB C, however it would allow for the safe discount of the power and prevent damage to the Notebook.

Problem is with out studying in depth the USB C standard it`s not possible to know if such a scenario is viable, I rather think I am not the first with such a concept...

Q-6
You are perfectly right, but if Apple really wanted to include (even a miniaturized) MagSafe connector that would probably necessitate a 4-5 mm additional thickness for that 12" rMB.:(

I would think the magnetic part of MagSafe would interfere with any digital signal going across the port, no? If Apple could have made USB-C magnetic, I would bet they would have, but I don't think it's physically possible.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Apple is going for "unbundling" - removing features that were included in the past and asking for consumers to pay extra for them, all the while claiming that this improves choices for customers. This has been used very effectively by the airline industry over the past 10 years.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Why no LED on the USB C charger plug? Also, why are we having to pay extra for the brick cord extension?
My guess...they did the leg work and figured out most people don't use them. I tossed my out for years still wrapped in the cord organizer.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Apple is going for "unbundling" - removing features that were included in the past and asking for consumers to pay extra for them, all the while claiming that this improves choices for customers. This has been used very effectively by the airline industry over the past 10 years.

Completely wrong.

Apple is unbundling and removing features that were included in the past to make their products lighter and smaller and are reducing the cost of their products in the process.

The RMB is $100 less expensive because it doesn't have a dozen ports and lengthy cables.

BJ

Reactions: xPad

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Completely wrong.

Apple is unbundling and removing features that were included in the past to make their products lighter and smaller and are reducing the cost of their products in the process.

The RMB is $100 less expensive because it doesn't have a dozen ports and lengthy cables.

BJ

Huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.