Why Doesn't Make Stands for Anything?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Nicklaus, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Nicklaus macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

It seems like a huge missed source of revenue. Don't most people get a charging stand for their iOS products? It is one of the best accessories you can buy IMO! I would love official ones for my watch and phone!

2. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I think stands are used by a very small percentage of people.

3. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Based on the analysts, they're already making a HUGE source of revenue with their astronomical profit margins. $50 for a piece of fluoroelastomer? $10000 for gold that is only on the watch portion?

I say leave it to third-party manufacturers to fight over customers with all their thoughtful variations of accessories.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I used to purchase Apple's iPhone charging stand up until the iPhone 5, then they stopped with the iPhone 6. I agree that its probably not a viable market for them so why waste effort when other companies can do it for those that want something.

5. 16Paws macrumors 6502a

They have made phone and iPad stands in the past... but i agree let the 3rd Party Manufacturers work on these... tons of variation, more so than apple could make.

6. Nicklaus thread starter macrumors 6502

Nicklaus

I forgot that my first iPhone came with one! That is what got me hooked on them. Too bad the first watches don't come with one other than Edition.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I liked the way that the Moto 360 came with an inductive charging stand. Much nicer than snapping on a magnetic back and laying the whole thing on a table, or having to spend more on a stand.

--

As for Apple making such things... yesterday, I was just about to buy an Apple charge stand for my daughter's iPhone 5S, until I read the reviews (on Apple's own store site).

It got nailed for the fact that it made it very difficult to use the Touch ID on the front.

A common review comment was that "Apple didn't design for the little things any more."

8. dnoph macrumors member

I think with watches, it's too much of a personal taste issue. Look at how many band options they provide. Now try to come up with a stand that looks good with all of the bands. There's too much variation so they're better off leaving it to 3rd party manufacturers to create the different types of stands

9. mysterydate macrumors 6502

mysterydate

Tim and Jony have an area where they have us 3rd party guys fight it out for their amusement.

I lost a finger in the battle of iPhone 4s cases. I was lucky though. Guy I saw was trying to put his guts back in over a iPad 2 dock. Wasn't pretty.

10. clint-bell macrumors regular

I recently went to the apple store and the packaging that the watch comes in is sort of like a stand.

But many of the posts in this thread are right, it just means it opens up opportunities to other third party brands to put their stuff out there and for less too! I can imagine how much Apply would charge for a stand!

11. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Agree with this. I bet they did a cost/profit analysis and said f it. :) The sales aren't worth the time and effort and marketing. Let the small fry do it. (No offense to all... Everyone starts small!)

12. AKRowdy macrumors regular

I agree I really wish I would be able to buy an official Apple stand for Watch and, because of this thought, I also want to clean up my bedroom by getting stands for my iPad and iPhone. Apple used to make an awesome dock for iPod, it's a bummer they don't anymore.

13. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

I think Apple is happy to have the massive 3rd party support it enjoys.

14. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Yeah, I think it has to at least factor in the equation, having a healthy 3rd party ecosystem creating accessories to their products has to be something they appreciate.

I would expect it probably was a part of the reason why they don't design their own stands anymore.

Also their is only so much time for the designers at Apple to dedicate to all he products they want to build and I get the feeling they like the fact that the team is small and has been together for a while.

15. Esoom macrumors 6502

Esoom

One of the reasons I stick with Apple stuff is the enthusiastic and massive 3rd party accessory support. I've gotten pissed over the years with buying an Android device and never getting any decent accessories, or they appear just before or after a new model is announced or already released.

16. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

This thread does slightly come across as being a bit fanboy-tastic.

Apple is a business. Businesses are not supposed to leave money on the table. Yet Apple has done exactly that.

Apple is not a charity that has graciously decided to leave charging stands to third parties. It doesn't do that with iPhone and iPad cases: it makes its own. That hasn't prevented a thriving third-party market.

Apple is perfectly capable of designing a charging stand. Indeed, Edition buyers get one, sort of.

I haven't yet seen a charging stand I really like. And I haven't seen any made by UK producers. (I'd rather order from a UK supplier to avoid shipping delays and costs.)

Apple will surely come up with a charging stand. There's clearly a market for it and people like me - because, yes, I'm a fanboy - prefer to buy Apple accessories.

17. robaroo macrumors regular

the first iphone came with a dock/stand. i used it exactly 0 times.

18. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above the first iPhone came with a stand I used that. Then I purchased one for the 3G and 3GS there was a delay with the 4 so I stopped buying them. I will buy a stand for the watch as I don't want to sit it down to potentially add scratches.

19. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I wonder the same thing. Only the original, 3G and 5 models had iPhone stands. Only the 1st two iPads. I used the included stand with the original iPhone and bought every one that was offered since. The only thing I can think of is that most use a case (I never do) and stands don't work with most cases.

20. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

They need to revisit this. At this point I need to charge an iPhone, Watch, and Macbook nightly. I assume some of you also have an iPad. And that's just for one person. My wife has a similar device setup.

We need like a home caddy that charges all this stuff because its a PITA to have it all just plugged into power strips and outlets.

We need like a piece of furniture or a drawer that holds it all, and is organized so you can remove what you need.

21. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

Doesn't completely fix the problem, but I have a Anker 5 port USB charger that works great. I plug one thing into the wall, and then can charge up to five USB devices (5w or 12w) at once.

22. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I think there is not enough overall profit if Apple were to compete in this area with third-party companies. A lot of people will buy a stand for $25-$40, but very few would pay $60+.

23. Zxxv macrumors 68040

apple usually release a stand for the iPhone on the S model cycle.

24. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

A company of Apple's size should not do everything possible, that's how you lose focus. I am disappointed that they no longer make a standard dock, although because none of the docks ever fit a phone with a case, it wasn't as useful as it could have been.