Why doesn't my 3G lose bars when holding with the death grip?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhiteiPhones, Jul 16, 2010.

1. WhiteiPhones macrumors newbie

If this whole "death grip" idea is real and all phones lose service strength when holding them, why doesn't my 3G iPhone lose bars?

Answer that, Mr. Jobs. More and more Apple BS.

2. Stay Tuned macrumors member

If I was there I would give him a 3GS and ask him to show everyone.

3. WhiteiPhones thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed.

Can anyone tell if the other phone demos were live or they were recorded from a previous time?

4. WhiteiPhones thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like someone with a Bold in the audience tried to replicate it...couldn't do it.

Big surprise.

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

just like many people cannot reproduce it with the iPhone 4 ... it relies heavily on coverage.

6. ducktales macrumors regular

because you're not in their 100Million dollar room.

7. DavidMc macrumors member

I was able to get my 3G to drop by cupping both hands around the bottom of the phone. Took a about 30+ seconds but I lost 3 bars. This was before I got my iPhone4 last week and sure enough, I can get my 4 to drop bars as well but not every where. There are areas I can touch the magic spot and nothing happens. Generally outside though.

8. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Cup the bottom (black bar from the original iphone) of the phone with your hand and you will lose bars. Only thing special about the iP4 is it has a special spot that causes this problem.

9. WhiteiPhones thread starter macrumors newbie

Still sounds like it's a design flaw with the IP4. They should have put the spot where the gap in the antenna is in a different spot than where 99% of people put their hands.

10. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Maybe have a separate antenna that you carry around on a different device, joined with a wire.

No wait - bad idea.

11. WhiteiPhones thread starter macrumors newbie

That hasn't been done before, so Jobs would probably call it an innovation.:)

12. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

Sweet- I'll give him a ring.

Damn - no signal :(

13. WhiteiPhones thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously, because as Jobs said in the press conference, he doesn't have a bumper/case on his phone.

14. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

15. KSoujiro macrumors newbie

I just pulled my 3GS out of its incase protector and was able to replicate the "death grip".

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Me too. Even with the iPhone 4 I could only do it in certain places so it's definitely related to coverage too.

17. Bobajobbob macrumors regular

18. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Depends on your coverage I can do it on my iPhone 3G at home.

19. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

Maybe something like these would do the trick?

[​IMG]

20. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Try with your right hand, my 3GS goes from 5 to 3, and so your 3G should

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I can replicate it with my 3G...sort of...

I cover the lover half of the phone with both hands (not the fingers, the palms), and it drops a bar or two within 5-10 seconds (it's a slow old 3G, this ;)). Whenever I let it go again the bar(s) comes back.

It's especially funny at home, where I only have one bar of 3G and it drops down to 4 or 5 bars of edge. So - in a way - I can make it increas the number of bars... :p

Now that's a real death grip, and not just a change of hands, but the principle is the same. ;)

22. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Because there are two separate issues.

1.) If you put your hand near ANY cellphone antenna, the capacitive effect of your hand detunes the antenna to some degree. As you put more of your body closer to the antenna, the effect increases, detuning it further. So, for example, holding it in the right way in either hand may cause it to drop a bar, maybe two. Putting both hands around it and squeezeing it tightly might cause a drop of 2 or more. It depends on how close the antenna is to the body of the phone, how strong the effect is from your body and how tightly you're holding it. If this doesn't happen to you it's most likely because you are in an area with decent reception or the capacitive effect of your hand isn't enough to affect the phone.

2.) The iPhone 4 and ONLY the iPhone 4 has a gap in the band around the phone to separate the band into workable antennas. Bridging the gap in the lower left of the antenna will, if you're in an area of less than perfect reception, cause the signal to drop to or near zero and any call or data transfer to drop. If you bridge it with something that's semi-conductive, like a finger or your hand, the drop may be anywhere between a couple bars and no signal at all. If you bridge it with something conductive, like a wire, it can immediately drop to zero.

I listened to what Jobs said and saw what was up in the background and it doesn't make sense. He talks about the first one and shows pictures of the second as if they're the same thing, but they're not. I can't believe Apple doesn't know the difference so I'm assuming we're getting snowed so Apple can avoid a huge, costly, image ruining recall.

23. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I can replicate signal loss with my 3GS, though it's not quite as bad. It still happens. Also, it's the only time my 3GS has ever been without it's case since I initially un-boxed it.

24. firteen888 macrumors regular

This is what many people don't understand. I can't replicate it with my iphone 4 because I live in a good cell area. Same reason you can't replicate it with the 3G.