Why doesnt my OTA updates ever work?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Grkbella03, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Grkbella03 macrumors regular

I've always updated my phone to the most current beta version the same day it comes out or the next day. Every single time, the OTA update won't ever work. It just keeps saying Unable to check for Update - An error occurred while checking for a software update. So I always update it through itunes and downloading the current version. It's really starting to annoy me right now and has me wondering if this will continue even after the final update. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

2. zmagik macrumors regular

Don't think it will continue final update it must be a problem with beta

3. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Out of curiosity, are you on cellular or Wi-Fi when you check for an update?

4. batting1000 macrumors 604

If suggest a clean restore without putting your backup on either now or when the final release is out.

5. Grkbella03 thread starter macrumors regular

On WiFi

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, hard to say why that kind of thing happens. I've seen it happening personally on at least one of the devices.

7. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Have you tried to check for the update on cellular?

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Agreed, do this. For every beta, I originally checked over wifi (once I knew it was for sure available) and it never saw the update. I would switch off wifi, check again (on cellular), and it would show. Then, I'd switch wifi back on to download/install the update.

Give this a shot, OP.

9. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

This. That's exactly what I was gonna suggest to the OP.

10. Grkbella03 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried both every single time. Wifi & Cellular. Nothing.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I can confirm the same thing with one of the devices that I've seen--restarting, resetting settings, turning off WiFi completely, etc., etc., etc., none of it seemed to make any difference for at least the last 3 betas or so.

12. Grkbella03 thread starter macrumors regular

At least I know I'm not alone - so I'm guessing an annoying beta bug?

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

It could be that. It could be something else about how those particular devices are set up, or have been installed, or something like that. That's really part of the issue--that it's hard to figure out what could be behind it, and if it's even a general beta-related issue of some sort or something unique to those particular devices and unrelated to the actual betas themselves.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

OTA notifications generally do not appear on all my devices at the same time. And I assume the errors are overloaded servers or throttling, unless it never works (days after release).

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, it just never works (at least in my experience), even days after the release.

16. Grkbella03 thread starter macrumors regular

Same with me. At first I assumed it had to do with servers being overloaded. So I figured id wait a day and see what happens. Same thing.