Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grkbella03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I've always updated my phone to the most current beta version the same day it comes out or the next day. Every single time, the OTA update won't ever work. It just keeps saying Unable to check for Update - An error occurred while checking for a software update. So I always update it through itunes and downloading the current version. It's really starting to annoy me right now and has me wondering if this will continue even after the final update. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
I've always updated my phone to the most current beta version the same day it comes out or the next day. Every single time, the OTA update won't ever work. It just keeps saying Unable to check for Update - An error occurred while checking for a software update. So I always update it through itunes and downloading the current version. It's really starting to annoy me right now and has me wondering if this will continue even after the final update. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Don't think it will continue final update it must be a problem with beta

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio

Out of curiosity, are you on cellular or Wi-Fi when you check for an update?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, hard to say why that kind of thing happens. I've seen it happening personally on at least one of the devices.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Have you tried to check for the update on cellular?

Agreed, do this. For every beta, I originally checked over wifi (once I knew it was for sure available) and it never saw the update. I would switch off wifi, check again (on cellular), and it would show. Then, I'd switch wifi back on to download/install the update.

Give this a shot, OP.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Agreed, do this. For every beta, I originally checked over wifi (once I knew it was for sure available) and it never saw the update. I would switch off wifi, check again (on cellular), and it would show. Then, I'd switch wifi back on to download/install the update.

Give this a shot, OP.

This. That's exactly what I was gonna suggest to the OP.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I tried both every single time. Wifi & Cellular. Nothing.
I can confirm the same thing with one of the devices that I've seen--restarting, resetting settings, turning off WiFi completely, etc., etc., etc., none of it seemed to make any difference for at least the last 3 betas or so.

Grkbella03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
I can confirm the same thing with one of the devices that I've seen--restarting, resetting settings, turning off WiFi completely, etc., etc., etc., none of it seemed to make any difference for at least the last 3 betas or so.

At least I know I'm not alone - so I'm guessing an annoying beta bug?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
At least I know I'm not alone - so I'm guessing an annoying beta bug?
It could be that. It could be something else about how those particular devices are set up, or have been installed, or something like that. That's really part of the issue--that it's hard to figure out what could be behind it, and if it's even a general beta-related issue of some sort or something unique to those particular devices and unrelated to the actual betas themselves.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OTA notifications generally do not appear on all my devices at the same time. And I assume the errors are overloaded servers or throttling, unless it never works (days after release).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
OTA notifications generally do not appear on all my devices at the same time. And I assume the errors are overloaded servers or throttling, unless it never works (days after release).
Yeah, it just never works (at least in my experience), even days after the release.

Grkbella03

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Yeah, it just never works (at least in my experience), even days after the release.

Same with me. At first I assumed it had to do with servers being overloaded. So I figured id wait a day and see what happens. Same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.