Why Doesn't New iTunes Recognize Song Info?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by visvaldis, May 3, 2014.

1. visvaldis macrumors member

I have downloaded music (single songs) from Amazon into iTunes on my G4 (10.5) All the songs appear with title, name of artist, and time. On the G4 I burned a CD with 12 songs. I ejected the CD and reinserted, all the songs have titles, artists, and times.
    I inserted the same CD into my Mac-Mini (10.9), via LG external drive. The only info the Mac-Mini's iTunes provides is Track 01, Track 02, Track 03, etc. Nothing more.
    How can I make playlists if I don't know which songs are which?
    How can this be fixed?

2. ijabz macrumors newbie

ijabz

I assume when you burnt your songs to CD they were burned as a regular CD, i.e stored as wav files rather than mp3s. Wav files do not actually store metadata such as song title or artist so it is no suprise no information was displayed when you inserted your cd into your mac-mini. When you insert an official purchased cd into your computer iTunes can create a checksum based on the lengths of each track on the cd down to millisecond level and lookup the checksum against an online database and if it finds a match retrieve artist and track level info for the cd, but it doesnt do this for home burned CDs. So if you want to transfer mp3s from one computer to another you should do just that, copying the original mp3 via the network, flash drive or burning to the cd as a data cd rather than an audio.

But why could it identify songs on the home burned cd on the g4 mac even after taking it out and reinserting it. Im not sure but I think when you first burned the cd it noted what songs they were burnt from and created a local checksum, then when you reinserted the cd into the same computer it recognised the checksum and could therefore reassociate the cd with the original songs and redisplay he info.

3. visvaldis thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to mention...
    to test the Mini's iTunes I inserted "The Stooges" a CD issued by Elektra/Asylum Records. The same result: Track 01, Track 02, Track 03, etc.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Launch iTunes.
    iTunes/Preferences/General
    Check the box: Automatically retrieve CD track names from the Internet.
    Done.

5. visvaldis thread starter macrumors member

The problem is I have the songs downloaded to my G4's iTunes. All songs appear with title, artist, and time.
    On Mac Mini's iTunes the songs all appear as Track 01, Track 02, et.
    The Mac-mini is not hooked up to the internet. That's a technical problem due to internet providers.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And that's your answer - connecting your mini to the internet will fix your issue.

7. ijabz macrumors newbie

ijabz

or transfer your'e already indentified songs as mp3s/mp4s not audio files.

8. jhencken macrumors newbie

I have a variation on this problem. I have an iMac with a builtin CD drive, and a USB connected external CD drive. Sometimes when I try to rip from the external drive iTunes says no track info is available, but if I switch the CD to the internal drive I get the info.

Anybody have ideas about what's going on with this?

9. phairphan, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016

phairphan macrumors 6502a

phairphan

A few things going on here. Since the Mini is not connected to the Internet, it won't display track names for commercial CDs. Even if it was connected to the Internet, it still wouldn't display track names for CDs you've burned yourself.

In order for these self-made CDs to display track information in iTunes on a computer on which they were not originally created, you will need to:

1) Make sure the CD Text option is turned on on the burning computer. It should show up in the burning options when you insert a blank CD.

2) Install a script on the computer on which you want the track information to appear. Although iTunes will burn CD Text, it will not display it. You can grab a Doug's AppleScript do this work (http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=cdtexttocdinfo). To get you started, here's an old video showing how the process works in general:

Hope this helps!

Edit:
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2016 ---
    Gack! I realize I just responded to the OP's problem in a necro'd thread. Well, leaving my response up in case it helps someone in the future.