Why doesn't QT Pro open .mod files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2A Batterie, Oct 22, 2008.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm attempting to edit some video that is in .mod format. I shot it on my company's camcorder, transferred the movie files to a PC at work, transferred the files to a flash drive, and then finally transferred the files to my Mac Book. I did a search and downloaded mpeg streamclip, but I can't convert the files unless I pay $20 for the mpeg-2 option. I've already purchased Quicktime Pro so shouldn't I have that capability? Is there any way that I can edit .mod files on my Mac without having to pay for a download?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

>>I've already purchased Quicktime Pro so shouldn't I have that capability?<<

No. The QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component is an optional purchase. It is included with FCP and DVD-SP.

-DH

3. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

D'oh!

Is there anyway to edit these files without coughing up money?

4. Exman macrumors member

Do it on your company's Windows computers. The Windows version works with the free Quicktime alternative (way faster and better than Apple's Quicktime).

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

KL QuickTime Alternative is a free unofficial distribution of QuickTime. It has a quite smaller installer (less than 15 MB) and includes MPEG-2 decoding in the "Additional plugins". When you install it, be sure to enable the checkbox "Additional plugins", otherwise the MPEG-2 decoder will not be installed. You can choose either the full or the lite version.