Why doesn't raise to wake work on iPad Pro?...

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Kal-037, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Doesn't the M8 and M9 co-processor from the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 (respectively) allow you to raise or move your phone to wake it up? The 6th gen iPod, iPad Pros, and Air 2 have M8 and M9 processors too, so why can't they raise to wake?
    It's not super important, but I thought the M co-processors worked the same. Is this just another Apple feature they only give to their favorite child: the iPhone?

Kallum.

2. SoYoung macrumors 6502

Because its not necessary on an ipad ?

With a SmartCover (90% of ipad user have one) the screen open automatically when you open the cover so, no need for this feature realy.

3. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Yeah I realize it really is not a necessary feature, but would having it take much effort? And if the iPads CAN do it, why not just put the feature on... just cause?
    Again, I don't really care about it that much, I'm really just curious as to "why not?"

Kallum.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Probably because there isn't a good use case for it.

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Or, Apple will add it later to a newer iPad, and not make it a feature available to older models...

I would see use in this, I sit my iPP (12.9) in the keyboard position, so when I pick it up, I now press in the home button, then leave my finger resting on the unpressed home button for it to unlock. Raise to wake, would mean I would be able to pick it up just resting my finger on the home button.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It "doesn't work" because it was never implemented. This isn't a bug, this is a feature that purposely wasn't added to the iPad.

7. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I think the OP is asking why the feature wasn't implemented on the iPads.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like it's not one they feel would fit in with the use cases they see for the iPad (vs an iPhone).

9. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Or, it is a feature they decided to hold back for future models even though the current is capable. For example, why does Hey Siri only work with an iPP 12.9 when charging, but works all the time with the iPP 9.7, 6s and 6s+?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Any differences in the chips amongst those?

11. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Source:
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...s-only-the-97-ipad-pro-has-always-on-hey-siri

12. Nozuka macrumors 68000

doesn't the ipad still have the slow touch ID sensor? they probably think it's not needed there.

and it would be weird to raise such a big device, just to see if there are new notifications and then putting it down again.

13. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

2 things:

1. The slow touch ID, is still faster than one can bring a device from far away (picking it up) to close to you in reading position (I do it now, I press in the button at full stretch, it is unlocked by the time I put it on my lap).

2. It doesn't have to be just for new notifications, it can be for use. It triggers an "awake" of the device, so it is now in ready mode, for unlocking or notifications.

14. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I'd like to see it included. I don't always have a cover on my device and I've gotten annoyed sometimes when I pick it up expecting it to come on and then realize that the iPad doesn't have this handy feature.

15. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I do this almost 1x per day now that I am used to the 7+.