Why doesn't Safari add .com anymore?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by geoking66, Nov 26, 2007.

1. geoking66 macrumors newbie

I used to be able to type in "google" or something of the like on Safari's address bar and I would get redirected to google.com immediately. However, as of yesterday, that trick no longer works. I haven't installed anything or updated anything (all of my updates were installed earlier and it still added .com) in the last few days, does anyone know how to fix this?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ah, we've been spoiled by this great feature on the Mac that Windows doesn't do but anyways mine works just fine and I'm on the latest 10.5.1 update. You didn't mention if you were on Tiger or Leopard.

What you can do is go into your home folder then preferences and delete the .plist for Safari and then reset Safari from the menu bar.

3. geoking66 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm on 10.5.1. If I delete a .plist, which one do I delete (info or the other one)?

4. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Any plist should just rebuild itself, so try both. Don't delete, but drag it to your desktop so you can put it back in if there's a problem.

5. contoursvt macrumors 6502a

Its not that you've been spoiled and that this feature is missing from windows...its that windows IE is part of the shell. When you type something in the browser which has no extension, it will attempt to resolve it via DNS or hostname. If it cannot find it, then MSN search will take over and see what it finds.

For example lets say I have a network attached storage on my network which I've called "orange". I can go into my browser and type "orange". If orange has an HTTP page like an admin page, it will come up because its on my local lan. For me, this works great because I have some network devices and for me its easier to get to them by just typing their hostnames sometimes.

Also how does the browser decide if something should be a .com or not. I mean lets say our company name is a .ca and you type the company name with no extension will it go to a page not found because it went to an imaginary .com page? Have not tried to see how this would work but I'd imagine thats what would happen.

6. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

7. geoking66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to get Open DNS without the security and blocking features?

8. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

I dunno, exactly. You should be able to do that if in your settings (requires a free account).