General Why doesn't Siri work offline for offline tasks?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Androidfan1x, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Androidfan1x, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

Androidfan1x macrumors regular

iOS has built-in OFFLINE voice recognition and OFFLINE text-to-speech,
    so why doesn't apple let us ask siri to do tasks that doesn't require internet connection like set alarm, remind me to, open apps,...?

really can't understand apple, if they release an update with this feature then they can use it to advertise a lot more about siri

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I could imagine it will come in some later version of hardware and software. It would require quite some resources to fully offline analyse multiple languages on the device itself.

Another two to three years, but don't nail me on it; just a wild guess/hope.

3. Slopfrog macrumors newbie

I don't get why it's so complicated. When connected, Siri should work. When not connected, it should default to the old, simple voice recognition (which worked very well for the few tasks it could do.). This doesn't take hardly any extra work to implement.

A better option, which would take a little more work, would be to process all commands through the built in voice recognition first. If the built in doesn't get a good match, then Siri should take over. The user should also have the option to send everything to Siri or everything to the built in depending upon their needs.

4. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

I agree. It'd be more convenient if people were still able to make reminders, set calendar appointments, open apps, etc. while not connected to wi-fi or a cellular network connection.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My iPhone 3GS could understand what I said it in 2009.

Yeah, it only did 10% of what Siri does, but when Siri is down why can't I still use that software for those features?

6. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Isn't that possible by turning Siri off?

7. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

You should';t need to turn siri off. It should automatically fallback when you have no connection.

8. Androidfan1x thread starter macrumors regular

Turn it off you will get voice control which only let you control music play pause next previous song album artist playlist facetime

9. hamiltonDSi, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012

hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

The A5/X & A6/X aren't powerfull enough to do offline voice analysis.
    The words are much more complex, the sentences are longer and have a different structure.
    It's not as simple like "pause music" with Voice Control.

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

There are Android alternatives which work offline, so I wouldn't say it's the processing power. More so the battery life, and also the potential (as at some point a mobile processor is going to be saturated). My thoughts anyway.