Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
iOS has built-in OFFLINE voice recognition and OFFLINE text-to-speech,
so why doesn't apple let us ask siri to do tasks that doesn't require internet connection like set alarm, remind me to, open apps,...?

really can't understand apple, if they release an update with this feature then they can use it to advertise a lot more about siri

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I could imagine it will come in some later version of hardware and software. It would require quite some resources to fully offline analyse multiple languages on the device itself.

Another two to three years, but don't nail me on it; just a wild guess/hope.

Slopfrog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
I don't get why it's so complicated. When connected, Siri should work. When not connected, it should default to the old, simple voice recognition (which worked very well for the few tasks it could do.). This doesn't take hardly any extra work to implement.

A better option, which would take a little more work, would be to process all commands through the built in voice recognition first. If the built in doesn't get a good match, then Siri should take over. The user should also have the option to send everything to Siri or everything to the built in depending upon their needs.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I agree. It'd be more convenient if people were still able to make reminders, set calendar appointments, open apps, etc. while not connected to wi-fi or a cellular network connection.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I could imagine it will come in some later version of hardware and software. It would require quite some resources to fully offline analyse multiple languages on the device itself.

Another two to three years, but don't nail me on it; just a wild guess/hope.

My iPhone 3GS could understand what I said it in 2009.

Yeah, it only did 10% of what Siri does, but when Siri is down why can't I still use that software for those features?

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
The A5/X & A6/X aren't powerfull enough to do offline voice analysis.
The words are much more complex, the sentences are longer and have a different structure.
It's not as simple like "pause music" with Voice Control.

Last edited:

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
There are Android alternatives which work offline, so I wouldn't say it's the processing power. More so the battery life, and also the potential (as at some point a mobile processor is going to be saturated). My thoughts anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.