why doesn't the apple watch log your heart rate and alert you when something might be wrong?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jesusplay, Sep 24, 2015.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

why doesn't the apple watch log your heart rate and alert you when something might be wrong? Like it could get your average heart rate, then if you're not doing much and it elevates it could alert you and you could choose to dismiss it.

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

I don't know how the Apple Watch could know you're "not doing much" - Heart rate is one of the ways it can tell if you're active. It's not a terrible idea, but I'm also thinking that to be classified as a medical device probably requires many tests and approvals from assorted government agencies, not to mention the legal liability if the device got it wrong. I'm no lawyer, but I would imagine Apple's legal team would throw a huge bucket of water on that idea from a liability perspective.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Apple doesn't want to have to go through all of the approval process to have it classified as a medical device, and quite likely it isn't accurate enough to pass in the first place.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Maybe in an app but Apple would not want to take any liability for the watch not warning you. It looks like Apple is going to do little to nothing for the Health app and it will be up to the developers.

5. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

It checks every ten minutes when you're not using the Workout app. But, that's obviously not frequent enough to detect a sudden spike.

It would also need to be dead accurate (pun not intended) to avoid both false alarms and missing a problem.

Lastly, continuous monitoring is done via bright LEDs, which drain the battery much more quickly than regular operation.

6. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Yes typical Apple MO. They feel responsible to create the hardware software abstraction but they're really leaning on the creative developer mind for killer applications...

Needless to say - sleep apps that will finally put those plastic flash light fit bits to bed, literally.