Why doesn't the email....

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rmv221, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Rmv221 macrumors newbie

I'm using my iPad to retrieve my email, not Hotmail or Gmail. It's an email account supplied by my service provider. When I retrieve my email, from my iPad, why is that when I go to my Outlook email on my laptop, email which I have already read days ago (on my ipad) still downloads in my Outlook? How can I fix it so that when I have downloaded and read my email on my iPad, then delete it,(from the trash bin) it goes off my service providers server so it's gone for good so I don't have to go to my Outlook mail and delete them from there?

2. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Something to do with IMAP versus POP3. iPad only copies the emails to itself, doesn't delete them off the server.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Like Sdevante said you are probably set up for POP3 (which is rubbish). Does your provider also offer IMAP?

If not, I set up a new GMail account, and you can set GMail to fetch the emails from the POP3 account. GMail supports IMAP and Push.

I had that problem with Hotmail. I wasn't going to pay for the premium account to get a feature that should have been included 5 years ago! Set up like I said above and haven't looked back.