Why doesn't the iPad 2 have 128gb?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Xoixly, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Xoixly macrumors newbie

The 64gb chip has been out for a while now, and the iPad can fit two of them so... what are we waiting for

2. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

Apple probably didn't want to sacrifice profit margins and they probably felt that no one would have purchased an $800 WiFi 128GB iPad.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's not a technological barrier, that's for sure.

4. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

With the new iTunes Home Sharing in iOS 4.3, they may be pushing us towards less on-device storage. Consider the small amount of storage in the Apple TV. Now all of your videos can reside on your computer when you want to watch something at home, and only needs to be synced to your device when you want to carry it with you.

5. AppleHater macrumors 6502a

I'm kind of guy who likes to keep everything. That pushed me to collect DVDs and BluRays; still no regrets. Sure, cloud is the future, but I don't like the idea of having mine in someone else's mercy, especially after paying lots of money for them.

6. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Not only that, but with data caps and $70 terabyte hard drives, it just more convenient and faster to use local storage. I have never purchased a digital media (music or video) download. Always a disc. Of course I have purchased software downloads, but I like having the disc.

7. gigemzach macrumors 6502

Well for me it is an Internet cap problem. My internet company only gives me 30GB.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't think it's a technical issue but a cost one as already mentioned.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

The Apple TV is not intended to be a portable device so it's a bad comparison.

10. kalex macrumors 65816

Simple. To maximize their profits. Why release something now when you can release it in next "upgrade", have millions of ipads dumped on second hand market and have millions of iUsers run out and get new shiny 128GB ipad

11. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

I thought like this for a while and before I chose an iPad 2 I was like will I ever really need 64 gigs the I said to myself "a new iPad will be out next year, just get the 16 gig and see if you really need more space"

Turns out I put about 10 movies on my iPad at any one time which is more than enough for any trip. When I finish a movie I delete it manually from iPad when isee I am low on movies I sync up and fill it back up. It's seems to be the best system for me. And keeps my iPad from being cluttered up

12. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

The only reason I decided against buying an iPad 2 is because of the lack of a 128GB model, which is all I wanted. Had $1000 set aside for it, but now I'm just being patient for the 3rd gen now. I don't quite see how this is Apple maximizing profits...

I have a feeling this decision could be related to iOS 5 and cloud storage. I do, ultimately, expect all our data in the future to be kept on the cloud. When you think about it, it makes little sense to download movies and music. Maybe I won't be needing that 128GB model after all. Maybe Apple will be tackling my data needs from a completely different direction altogether.

13. nealh macrumors 6502

Cloud is only ok if u have access. My up coming trip to Europe does not make accessing a 4gb movie practical. Wifi can be spotty and expensive.

More storage would be great, flash memory is inexpensive

14. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i like the idea of seagate satelitte hd it will basicly increase any ipad to 500 gigs once u set it up and it has a battery for itself too just right now i am in the transition from one job to another so money is going to be tight for awhile

15. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

which is why i don't understand why posters don't understand the need for higher capacity.

it's tiring to read posts about just use this or just use that. not everyone has unlimited bandwidth!

16. whitesands macrumors newbie

I guess cost probably.
    Do what he does, do you need to keep movies you've watched?

17. Scuby macrumors regular

Because although you want one, and a few others will want one, the vast majority of people don't (or at least, won't be willing to pay the extra for it). Apple is a company which, in the end, exists to make profitable products that people want. The demand for a 128GB iPad would be tiny compared to the rest of the models, and it simply isn't worth the stock / supply chain issues of having another 6 variations of iPad (ie 128GB with wifi, 3G and Verizon, in black and white) on top of the existing 18 models.

David

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I would much rather have a practical, accessible internal SD card slot. If I am traveling and working on something important, it would be nice to be able to remove my data from the iPad in case the iPad would vanish. And to be able to carry 50 movies on a handful of small cards, to be picked and inserted as the mood strikes. Or to manage a bunch of photos I just took. Removable storage just makes sense, though Apple would undoubtedly charge a fairly steep premium for it.

And none of the Micro SD crap they had on Xoom, give me a real SDHC slot (or one that can handle both).

19. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

It's a matter of time.. they are waiting for iPad 3. I'm guessing that iPad 3 should be a big bump in capacity and screen res

20. Wrathh1965 macrumors newbie

Can't remember where I ran across the work around but you can do exactly that.

It requires you use the same directory structure as your camera card, limited name length and you import through the camera/photo app in the iPad.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Ideally they would do what they've done as the iPhone matured, drop the 16 when the 128 appeared so there would still just be three capacity variations. I honestly thought Apple would release a single 3G iPad2 that worked with both carriers.

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

Well the rumour is that the next iPhone is going to support both AT&T and Verizon in one model. If that is the case I'm sure the same will apply to the next iPad.

On a personal note I've got a 64GB iPad 2 and was down to just 710MB a few days ago. I had to remove some of my podcasts, apps and movies to bring it up to a more reasonable 5GB level. If I had a 128GB capacity model I wouldn't have had to worry about that.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Fine, but I want the slot in the iPad, so that the card does not project out at all when seated, and requires no extra button or needle to eject. And I do not want to have to jump through hoops to access the card. iPad 4, maybe.

24. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Exactly. Just got back from Rome and I filled up my 32 Gig iPad2 with TV shows and movies. WiFi in the hotel was not the greatest, and finding hotspots was not as easy as I would have liked.

I personally think 32 Gigs is a bare minimum for portable devices, but now Im getting to the point of thinking 64 should be the minimum. 128GB should become the norm, regardless of cloud storage.

25. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Simple Answer?

Apple puts such a high premium on the memory it sells/installs that it would make a 128GB model be at a price point that would take it out of the mass market I would guess.

It would of course be nice if you could spec a model direct from them as a special order of course.