Why doesn't the iPhone have deep integration with the Mac?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by christall109, Dec 23, 2008.

1. christall109 macrumors 6502

This question has been really bugging me lately. Like why can't incoming texts sent to my iPhone "pop" up on my screen like IMs do? Why can't I see who's calling from my mac? Or better yet why can't I use my mac as a speaker phone? It's just brimming with so much potential. You would think Apple would implement this kind of integration. Bluetooth,WiFi. The hardware is all there just not the software.

What do you guys think? or better yet what kind of integration would you like to see?

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I am sure that Apple is working on most of this. I know that tethering is supposed to be available soon for the iPhone. That might allow you to talk from your Mac.

3. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I doubt that we'll see that kind of integration from Apple. As far as integration goes, apple sees the iPhone as an iPod with calling capabilities.

4. christall109 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really don't think so. They see it as a platform with an ipod. Personally, I think the iPod capability has not taken center stage in their commercials. I really now seems like a Touch platform, one device to rule them all.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I agree... there was a thread about this a while back, and it seems silly to me that Apple didn't include this kind of functionality.

Some headsets can already carry voice and use a computer as a microphone + speakers, using Bluetooth. Why the iPhone can't boggles the mind...

*shrug*

Sadly, I doubt we'll see an Apple solution to this, but I'd sure love to.

In the meantime, Veency sort of gives you this functionality...

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think most people know from the start that an iPod is built in. But many probably don't know much more, which is why the ads show off different apps and useful Internet stuff. Plus, if you want to focus on iPod functionality, you show them an iPod ad.

7. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

apple also provides isync with every mac yet it doesnt sync with the iphone wireless because of the crippled bluetooth. works great with tons of other phones though.