Why doesn't the leather case smell like... leather?

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Is it just me and my nose? I opened my leather case and expected that fresh luxurious leather scent, but really didn't get it... it almost smelled like rubber (but not really).

I'm from Texas so maybe I'm used to that classic leather smell... or maybe I just got a case without the scent? lol

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
Is it just me and my nose? I opened my leather case and expected that fresh luxurious leather scent, but really didn't get it... it almost smelled like rubber (but not really).

I'm from Texas so maybe I'm used to that classic leather smell... or maybe I just got a case without the scent? lol
It actually doesn't smell like... anything!

hamiltonrwatch

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
slightly right of left
I opened my leather case and expected that fresh luxurious leather scent, but really didn't get it... it almost smelled like rubber
The leather used to manufacture these cases is processed to the point where it only resembles leather in name only.:D Here's a trick though; take out the phone, put the case in a ziplock bag, seal it overnight. In the morning, open the bag and you'll have that concentrated leather-smell you're used to. Apple's eco-friendly packaging bleeds off a lot of the aroma.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Mine smells of leather, not a very strong smell though, the leather they use is very thin so can't expect that much of a smell to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.