• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Why doesn't the new AirPort Extreme have USB 3.0! I'll just sit back almost forever with my N's until they put USB 3 in them Geez!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You'd think it would have USB 3 and/or Thunderbolt on it. It makes no sense to me. I'm sticking with my 2nd generation AEBS still. Since the new one is AC and my new iPhone 5s and iPad Mini w/Retina display only have wireless N. That also makes no sense. Why didn't they put AC in these new products too?

Comment

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Why doesn't the new AirPort Extreme have USB 3.0! I'll just sit back almost forever with my N's until they put USB 3 in them Geez!
The may have omitted USB 3 due to the interference that it can generate in the 2.4GHz range.

You'd think it would have USB 3 and/or Thunderbolt on it. It makes no sense to me. I'm sticking with my 2nd generation AEBS still. Since the new one is AC and my new iPhone 5s and iPad Mini w/Retina display only have wireless N. That also makes no sense. Why didn't they put AC in these new products too?
Thunderbolt would've been too expensive to add. If your current base has N capability and is working fine, you have no reason to replace it. I went from a 9.5 year old Airport Extreme 802.11b/g to the current one with 802.11ac. I should've replaced it a while ago, but it still works and I'm keeping it as a spare.

Comment

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I went from a 9.5 year old Airport Extreme 802.11b/g to the current one with 802.11ac. I should've replaced it a while ago, but it still works and I'm keeping it as a spare.

Wow that's a long time between updates. I usually like upgrading my router every 2-3 years.

Comment

priitv8

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
My personal opinion on this topic is this: it doesn't press on USB troughput side as much as it does on pure CPU power side inside AirPort base stations.
The same USB2.0 external drive performs 2x better when served from Mac Mini:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18013924/
Also notice, how much difference 802.11n WLAN vs Gbit LAN makes for Mini and how little for AirPort Extreme?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.