Why doesn't the new AirPort Extreme...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rezwits, Nov 22, 2013.

1. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

Why doesn't the new AirPort Extreme have USB 3.0! I'll just sit back almost forever with my N's until they put USB 3 in them Geez!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You'd think it would have USB 3 and/or Thunderbolt on it. It makes no sense to me. I'm sticking with my 2nd generation AEBS still. Since the new one is AC and my new iPhone 5s and iPad Mini w/Retina display only have wireless N. That also makes no sense. Why didn't they put AC in these new products too?

3. Bear macrumors G3

The may have omitted USB 3 due to the interference that it can generate in the 2.4GHz range.

Thunderbolt would've been too expensive to add. If your current base has N capability and is working fine, you have no reason to replace it. I went from a 9.5 year old Airport Extreme 802.11b/g to the current one with 802.11ac. I should've replaced it a while ago, but it still works and I'm keeping it as a spare.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Wow that's a long time between updates. I usually like upgrading my router every 2-3 years.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

My personal opinion on this topic is this: it doesn't press on USB troughput side as much as it does on pure CPU power side inside AirPort base stations.
    The same USB2.0 external drive performs 2x better when served from Mac Mini:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18013924&postcount=4
    Also notice, how much difference 802.11n WLAN vs Gbit LAN makes for Mini and how little for AirPort Extreme?