Why doesn't the Notes app have a save function?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Oct 25, 2013.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

This makes no sense, I can't count how many times I've accidentally deleted valuable information with no way to retrieve it. Before you tell me to "shake to undo" I've disabled this incredibly obnoxious, intrusive feature because it was constantly popping up at the slightest movement of my phone and I hardly ever used it.

The notes program should also be more organized and efficient, it really has no "design" or form, it's just a blank page.

Is there an app that performs this function better, and let's you make entries that are saved?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Try Evernote

Notes is supposed to be very simple and basic. That's the whole point of it. Plenty of other note management apps out there.

As to your experience with shake-to-undo popping up unexpectedly, you should get your device checked. I need to pretty explicitly shake my iDevices to initiate the Undo function. If yours is kicking as much as you describe, that sounds like a hardware problem.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Wow, you have a problem with your phone? It's a NOTEPAD for basic functionality, if you need a more robust system there are plenty of Apps on the store. It's like asking why the stock weather app doesn't show humidity and air pressure, that's not what it's designed for.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Notes are automatically saved and send to iCloud if activated.
    I think what you want is to lock a note entry. Which could be a good idea, but how do you keep erasing stuff? I never have had this issue since one has to swipe and then press delete or inside the note you have to click the trash. If you are talking about info inside a note that you deleted by mistake then yeah that can happen.

This is for notes. If you want something more permanent and that you can undo and redo then use Pages. It's free with iOS 7

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok thanks

6. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Do you have Parkinson's disease or something? The amount of times I've accidentally done "shake to undo" has been very little, and it's been incredibly useful when I have used it. If your typical usage involves randomly shaking the device, then you'd must understand that it may not work as you'd like it to.

I've been using the Notes app since 2009, and I've never had such issues with it.

I think my wife has used iOS for two years before she even knew there was a "shake to undo" feature - basically, she had NEVER seen it before.

7. Oui macrumors 6502

How do you accidentally slide your finger across a note and then tap delete?

8. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Looking at the thread starter's posts, I'm thinking he's just a troll.

9. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How does starting threads addressing and questioning the multitude of flaws on the iPhone make me a troll?

----------

I'm obviously talking about deleting content within each note, why else would I mention the shake to undo feature?

10. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

If you're finding it too easy to activate the shake to undo I agree that you need to get your phone exchanged or something. I have to shake mine pretty hard to get it to activate. In fact, I wish it would activate a little bit easier. There have been times where I had to shake so hard I was worried the phone would fly out of my hand.

11. Oui, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013

Oui macrumors 6502

Well, The app still asks again to delete the note. Sounds to me like your complaining just to complain.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

What are you talking about?? Read what I typed, I just said I'm referring specifically to when I accidentally delete a WORD or SENTENCE within the note.

13. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I have to violently shake my phone for that to pop up! Don't know how long the "Shake to undo" feature has been in iOS but I've been using iPhones for 5 years & this is the 1st time I've seen it!

Btw thanks OP for reminding me of another great feature;).

*I've been using pocket informant for many years and it has a ton of features. I do not remember how much it cost though..,

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

15. Oui macrumors 6502

Well, then my original comment stands how do you accidentally delete a WORD or SENTENCE? Thats just stupid. You obviously have an issue and need to stop using the notes app and move on.

16. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How does your original comment still stand?? You referred to sliding to delete an ENTIRE NOTE, not just a sentence or word.

And it is incredibly easy to accidentally delete too much when holding delete, or even more annoying is when you try to place the cursor and it highlights the word in red then any key you hit deletes it.

17. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

...it automatically saves instantly via icloud...

18. Oui macrumors 6502

Whatever dud, it's not as easy as you would like for us to believe.
    I have never accidentally deleted anything from the note app.
    And if you seem to have this issue you really need to find another app.
    You're never going to convince me otherwise so I am out.

19. eecyclone macrumors regular

eecyclone

I probably rely on the notes app too much... But it seems to work great for me and my workflow.

20. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Wouldn't you have the the same problem in any app that requires typing? Why limit it to just Notes?

21. TH55, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Because notes are intended to be saved information, but if youre asking if this obnoxious feature of highlighting words permeates every facet of typing on iPhones, the answer is yes.

22. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

They are saved....until you delete them.

If you delete stuff by accident that often then it seems you could use shake to undo a lot more than you think.

You mispelled it. You can select the correct spelling, tap away from it, or replace it by starting to type the correct word again.

23. LV426 macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I never knew it was there either until I just tried it.

24. GlenK macrumors 6502a

GlenK

Me too!!! Been using notes for years & never knew that one!! I've never had an issue using notes & sync them to 3 devices. The iOS7'version of notes in very plain but the functionality is fine. Been looking around for a more visually appealing version but every one I see has reviews about issues with syncing.

Can't give that up!!!!