Why doesn't the pencil work like your finger?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by marlman, Jun 18, 2017.

1. marlman macrumors regular

marlman

i have the 10.5 Pro and Apple Pencil combo and love it. I use the pencil for a bit of note taking but mostly navigation.

On the screen it works exactly like your finger but not when swiping down or up to get notifications or control centre.

I am sure there is some technical reason which someone will tell me but I just thought it would work like your finger!

2. ventmore macrumors 6502

Probably so you don't accidentally activate either one whilst tying to use the pencil inside applications.

3. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

A better question might be why would you want it to work like your finger? The further they keep it from a generic stylus, and focused on writing and drawing, the better. The design philosophy of iOS is based on touch.

4. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

My vote is for the Pencil to work just like your finger when navigating. Just to take it a step further 3D touch should be part of the Pencil functionality during navigation. I just bought my 10.5" Pro so I don't have any experience with the Pencil yet.

Or at least give us a toggle to turn certain Apple Pencil features off. Better to have more options than no options especially if it's geared towards pro's right?

5. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

The iPad doesn't have Taptic Engine, so 3D Touch behavior might be a bit confusing.

I always thought Apple should have an optional, unsupported, advanced settings app for power users. In a case like that, they'd be free to add any imaginable setting. Right now, things aren't very configurable with the Pencil.