Why doesn't Verizon give you a good router?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by iBookG4user, Jun 4, 2007.

1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I got Verizon FiOS a couple days ago and they gave us a huge behemoth of a router. Ever since then I rarely get the full speed that I'm paying for, on wireless I usually average about 5mbps instead of the 15mbps that I should be getting. I've had to reset the router at least 5 times in the 3 days that I've had it just so that it would connect at all, as soon as I reset it, I get the full speed on my MacBook Pro via wireless, but that soon goes down to 5mbps and eventually to a lot lower. What's wrong with this darn router?

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

This is definitely not the first time I have heard this in relation to FIOS and its claimed speed improvements. What is the manufacturer of the router? Also, is it that it is dropping in speed only or is it also dropping the wireless connection?

3. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

So, yesterday less than an hour after I posted the opening post of this thread, the router that they gave us CAUGHT ON FIRE, yes, it actually caught on fire and had smoke billowing out of it. If I hadn't been in the same room as it, there was a very real possibility that it could've caught my house on fire. They came and replaced the router with an older model router. So far Verizon's FiOS is not leaving me happy.

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yikes dude. O_O

FiOS is kinda funny too. My friend has the 15Mbps, and my Comcast connection benches faster than her FiOS.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I look at the people drooling over FiOS and shake my head.

They suck. That is why I am sticking with cable.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'd be willing to put up with the occasional fire if I could get FiOS :D

7. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, so if you're not home when the fire starts, then you have no house or FiOS to come back home to. You'd be willing to put up with that?

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

9. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Maybe the F in FiOS stands for Fire. :D

I'd probably be chewing Verizon out right about now though. That just isnt cool at ALL. :mad:

10. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It probably does :p.

And so far it looks like they might do a nationwide recall of the router that we got, so at least they are doing something about this and not ignoring it.