Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2015
This has been bugging me with AirPlay for a very long time. AirPlay is less then ideal because it requires the sender to constantly send the content, instead of it functioning as a remote (like Chromecast).

Apple Music on the Apple TV 4 again reminded me of this problem. Apple has explored every possible avenue for playing Apple Music on the Apple TV, including:

- using the Siri Remote and the Apple Music app on your Apple TV
- using the Remote app and the Apple Music app on your Apple TV
- using AirPlay and the Apple Music app on your iOS device

...except the right one, which is remote controlling the Apple Music app on your Apple TV with the Apple Music app on your iOS device. This doesn't require your TV to be on while exploring Apple Music and it doesn't require your iOS device to constantly send content via AirPlay.

Why doesn't Apple come up with a proper remote protocol, so you can remote control any app on your Apple TV with the same app on your iOS device?

Baron015

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2014
This has been bugging me with AirPlay for a very long time. AirPlay is less then ideal because it requires the sender to constantly send the content, instead of it functioning as a remote (like Chromecast).

Apple Music on the Apple TV 4 again reminded me of this problem. Apple has explored every possible avenue for playing Apple Music on the Apple TV, including:

- using the Siri Remote and the Apple Music app on your Apple TV
- using the Remote app and the Apple Music app on your Apple TV
- using AirPlay and the Apple Music app on your iOS device

...except the right one, which is remote controlling the Apple Music app on your Apple TV with the Apple Music app on your iOS device. This doesn't require your TV to be on while exploring Apple Music and it doesn't require your iOS device to constantly send content via AirPlay.

Why doesn't Apple come up with a proper remote protocol, so you can remote control any app on your Apple TV with the same app on your iOS device?

What's wrong with the Remote app ?

Why does it have to be same app on the iOS device to be 'proper' in your view ?

AirPlay and Remote do two different things, although they can both result in music coming from the ATV output.

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2015
It requires my TV to be on to explore Apple Music and that's less than ideal. I'd rather just do it with the Apple Music app on my phone.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I use Googles music app and a chromecast to do what you're doing. I haven't used Apples built in music app since iOS 6.

Probably not the solution you're looking for, but it works for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.